BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A Baltimore City officer is being called a hero. Major Richard Gibson stepped into action to try and save a baby girl that stopped breathing inside a crowded restaurant. The moments of panic were caught on video.

Antonio Romeo, the owner of Mamma Lucia Pizza Italian Eatery on Greenmount Avenue tells WJZ the mother came in with her baby twice. First to warm-up because they were cold, but by the second time, the baby was not breathing.

READ MORE: Poinsettias, Trains Help H.P. Rawlings Conservancy Get 'Back On Track'

Romeo said he heard the mother say “My baby can’t breathe. My baby can’t breathe.”

The baby girl took her final breaths, placed on a restaurant table, as people hurried to get help.

Romeo shared with WJZ surveillance video of the incident, showing the Saturday afternoon customers pull out their cellphones to call 911. The attending officer, Major Richard Gibson, can be seen in the footage in a white uniform.

Major Gibson arrives and immediately performs CPR on the one-month old girl and doesn’t stop until paramedics arrive.

Major Gibson was visibly distraught, after trying to save the girl. She died shortly after at a local hospital.

“It was unbelieveble. Very good man, to do what he’s done. You know don’t care about the people [outside], just take care of the baby,” said Romeo.

Police say the mother had her baby with her while taking part in a protest of a recent officer-involved shooting of an armed man in the Waverly neighborhood.

READ MORE: Essex Spreads Holiday Cheer With Christmas Tree Lighting

RELATED: Police Identify Officers Involved In Shooting Of Man With Knives

“It’s almost ironic. We had an officer who was on patrol, he was keeping an eye on the protesters, and then before he knew it, he was called into action,” said Det. Jeremy Silbert, Baltimore Police spokesman.

Major Gibson is the commander at Baltimore Police Northern District, and has been with the Baltimore City Police Department for 20 years.

His compassion inspires those who saw it first-hand.

“I’ve got a lot of respect. He’s done a very good job. I’m sorry the baby lost her life,” said Romeo.

Police sources tell WJZ Maj. Gibson is very involved in the community. After the incident happened, he and the officers reportedly ordered pizza for the crowd that was protesting against police.

At this point, police are not sure if baby had any existing medical issues before this happened. At last check, the man who was shot by police on Friday is in critical condition.

MORE NEWS: State Health Department Opens Vaccine, Testing Clinics In Mondawmin Mall

Follow @CBSBaltimore on Twitter and like WJZ-TV | CBS Baltimore on Facebook