BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A 39-year-old man is dead after a house fire in Halethorpe early Monday morning.

Authorities say seven people were inside of the home, in the 100 block of Hazel Ave., when the fire broke out in the kitchen area around 4:30 a.m.

The home was equipped with at least one working smoke alarm, which alerted the victim’s wife to the fire.

She, her husband and two children had been sleeping on the second floor, and three others had been sleeping on the ground floor.

WJZ’s Mike Schuh was on the scene, and he reports that more than half of the people inside the home have physical disabilities, which kept them from getting out faster.

But everyone managed to escape except the victim, Ryan Cavin.

“He couldn’t get down because… his toes were amputated on his feet,” resident James Hart told WJZ.

Fire personnel rescued him from the top of the staircase on the second floor. Despite efforts by EMS crews to resuscitate him, he died a short time later at St. Agnes Hospital.

“There was a group of them and they were all carrying him out and they just kind of like put him on the ground quick and just started right away trying to revive him,” said neighbor Gina Anderson.

She said they worked on him for 20 minutes before he was taken to the hospital.

Stay with WJZ for more on this developing story.

Follow @CBSBaltimore on Twitter and like WJZ-TV | CBS Baltimore on Facebook

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s