BALTIMORE (WJZ) — It will soon cost more to drive into some national parks.

The Interior Department is increasing fees at the most popular parks to $35 per vehicle. This raises the price by about $5. There are plans for an additional increase in 2020.

Initially the plan was to raise the rate to $70 per car for the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, and other popular parks.

According to the National Parks Service, the additional money will help fund maintenance projects, improve park infrastructure, enhance visitor programs and services, and protect park resources across all the parks. Their website states at least 80 percent of the money stays in the park where it is collected, and the other 20 percent is used to benefit parks that do not collect fees.

Most of the rate hikes will take place June 1, 2018. However, 300 of the 417 parks will remain free.

Click here for a look at the national parks here in Maryland.

Follow @CBSBaltimore on Twitter and like WJZ-TV | CBS Baltimore on Facebook

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s