By George Solis

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Marylanders are getting a bit crabby over PETA’s new billboard campaign in Baltimore that’s trying to get people to stop eating the state’s crustaceans.

The animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals put up a billboard near the Inner Harbor that is not getting the greatest response from those on social media.

On the billboard, it has a picture of a crab, along with the caption, “I’m ME, Not MEAT.” The billboard will be in place for the Baltimore Seafood Festival on September 15.

“Just like humans, crabs feel pain and fear, have unique personalities, and value their own lives,” PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman said in a release. “PETA’s billboard aims to give Charm City residents some food for thought about sparing sensitive marine animals the agony of being boiled alive or crushed to death in fishing nets simply by going vegan.”

Response to the billboard on social media has been mixed, with some Marylanders saying the people in this state will never stop eating crabs, that crab is king.

“It’s part of the city’s history, you know what I mean?” said Gerard Brown, a crab eater. “Without seafood, there is no Baltimore,” Brown said.

One person tweeted out a picture of the billboard with the following caption: “Siri, show me the biggest waste of advertising money you’ve ever seen.”

Silver Moon II owner Nick Lentis, now that the billboard has gone viral, said it’s been a nightmare for business.

“I don’t have nothing to do with this. I sell crab meat,” Lentis said. “I think they have to remove it,”

PETA said they plan to keep it up ahead of the city’s seafood fest next month.

“They are individuals. They can feel pain, they can sense the world around them and they definitely do not want to be boiled alive,” Amber Canavan with PETA said.

“I don’t think they knew what they are getting themselves into when they put that up,” John Minadakis, Jimmy’s Famous Seafood.

But business owners like Minadakis said it is going to be a tough argument to win in crab country.

“If the community see that there’s an attack on Baltimore happening, I can definitely see them getting behind places like this and showing their support,” Minadakis said.

Follow @WJZ on Twitter and like WJZ-TV | CBS Baltimore on Facebook

Comments (53)
  1. Craig Shapiro says:

This ad is terrific! I don’t go near crabs–or lobsters, fish, chicken, turkey or beef–because I prefer to eat with a clear conscience. I also like being healthy.

2. Beth DiPasqua says:

are you kidding? what has our society become?? and in light of PETA’s other craziness is it really responsible to show the crab without water nearby and being so high up? he may fall and die…..geez wiz PETA needs to find something else to do with peoples hard earned money besides putting up ridiculous billboards and padding their own pockets

3. Richard Martin says:

Peta doesn’t know what they’re talking about. We don’t boil crabs, we steam them. Ha Ha

4. Rob Williams says:

Just makes me hungry.

5. I hope this billboard helps open some eyes. Even before I went vegan, I thought it was cruel to eat crabs, lobsters, and other sea animals. You’re eating the animal’s whole body, breaking it apart and digging out the flesh. All animals, including crabs and other crustaceans, can feel pain and suffer.

6. Kim Marie says:

I’ve never eaten any seafood and I never will. The cruel fishing industry has already killed off many species and acts like marine animals don’t feel pain, which is false and inhumane.

7. This ad is awesome! We must remember that animals have their own thoughts, feelings and emotions and they should be treated with kindness — not eaten.

8. Valerie Lovrensky-Bauer says:

Laugh My ASS OFF

9. Chaz Christman says:

“I’m me, not meat” “Me” is the first part of meat, really delicious meat. I’ll quit eating crabs when they quit eating meat themselves, often killing other critters which feel pain to get it.

If vegans truly want to put all life on an equal footing, lay off of the plants as well. Eat rocks.

Oh, wait, Gaia probably can feel pain too. Guess you guys are out of food…

Ridiculous virtue signalling, posturing people…

10. Jack Paramus says:

People are always being eaten by animals yet Peta says nothing, does nothing. Hypocrites!

11. Yes. Go vegan. Eat all those Monsanto GMO crop yields.You say I only buy “Organic”? Another ploy to line the pockets of the corporations. Mother Earth and the animals would be better off if Humans didn’t exist. After all, WE are the only creatures polluting and destroying Her.