COLUMBIA, Md. (WJZ) — A 64-year-old Maryland woman was mauled to death by a pit bull she recently rescued, police said Tuesday.

According to Howard County Police, officers were called to a home on Tamar Drive on Labor Day for a report of a woman being mauled to death by her dog.

Robin Conway was found dead in her backyard with significant injuries.

A family member found Conway in her yard around 7:20 p.m. on Monday with the dog standing over her.

The witness called 911 and tied the dog to a fence until help arrived.

The radio transmission was heard with the caller saying he thought his wife was attacked by a dog and might be dead.

Police and EMS responded and pronounced Conway dead at the scene.

The dog, who was still leashed to the post, was barking and lunging on its leash. It was subdued by animal control officers and ultimately euthanized.

A necropsy will be performed to determine if the dog was sick or had rabies.

Conway had adopted the pit bull two weeks prior from a rescue out-of-state.

Her sister, Susan Eve LeClair, said Conway was no stranger to pit bulls which is why she had rescued the one she was walking at the time of the attack.

“She cared so much about her animals that she had taken this dog,” LeClair said.

Conway’s family is mourning and is at a loss for words.

“Everybody is devasted,” LeClair said. “I don’t know that there are lessons to be learned or not,”

Police said the dog showed some signs of aggression.

“The dog was on a leash but lunging and barking, they tried to subdue him but ultimately had to euthanize him,” said Sherry Llewellyn with Howard County Police.

“There was obviously something wrong with this dog, but Robin was a wonderful wonderful person,” LeClair said.

Police said there were no previous calls to animal control about this residence prior to the incident Monday.

Police are conducting a death investigation in the case and awaiting official autopsy results.

“We have not seen a lot of cases like this here in Howard County,” Llewellyn said. “And we certainly haven’t seen cases that involve in a resulting death,”

Follow @WJZ on Twitter and like WJZ-TV | CBS Baltimore on Facebook

Comments (72)
  1. Alonso Schneeweiß says:

Humans created this breed through artificial selection. STOP breeding this breed!

2. Charles Stanford says:

If you rescue an adult pit bull, and you know nothing at all about its past, you are a fool.

3. Carl Mayo says:

“my love will change him” — the same thing delusional girls say when they hook up with bullies and bad boys

4. Christine McMahon Sutton says:

Anyone who wants to truly understand pit bulls should read The Lost Dogs by Jim Gorant. It’s absolutely criminal what some people do to pit bulls, just because they are so powerful. This poor lady was foolish to adopt a pit bull with an unknown history without first getting an evaluation from a professional, and she paid a very heavy price.

5. John Sorger says:

Pit bulls are the niġġers of dogs. Neither are behaviorally suitable to live with humans.

6. Gary Drake says:

I must have missed the pitbull owners battle cry……….”.the owners were irresponsible”

7. Barry Brumfield says:

““There was obviously something wrong with this dog, but Robin was a wonderful wonderful person,” LeClair said”. Robin was also very stupid as well as naïve.

8. Gary Drake says:

For a more definitive explanation to this attack please reference D Trump’s parable, “the snake”

9. Duane Purvin says:

Wrong rescuer…the Pit Bull prefers a male rescuer and is calmed by the laughter of little children. A woman rescuer often dies from various wounds garnered during rough play with the dog whereas a man triggers an alpha reflex which makes the dog submissive . Again,Do Not forget to have small children around as their play and laughter calms the Pit Bull. . I constantly read that it is not the Pit Bull but its owner at fault for the mayhem these dogs practice somewhere weekly. Therefore, maybe rescuing a Pit Bull without first interviewing the preceding owner is unwise. My local pound is full and about half little yippy, yappy snapping snarling toy dogs and half Pit Bulls. I lived in Mexico for some years where dogs, usually Pit Bulls, are for property and a male’s protection but not pets. In four years I had to shoot five of these cuddly best friends for my own account and others since I was the only one around with some guns. Social media and Leftist always blame anyone but the dog, sort of like guns and SUVs so there is always a supply of Pit Bull rescuers out there to be maimed. One time, I was cornered by a Pit Bull in a structure and all night it pranced back and forth waiting for me to come out…I, meanwhile spent the night making spear and cudgel and let me tell you, these dogs take a beating and keep on attacking. My wife finally got him with a tire rim dropped from the top of the roof..ah, good times…

10. Andrew Moore says:

What’s with average people wanting pit bulls? You’re just asking for trouble, and you should know that.

11. Kurt Smith says:

For all the capacity any adult pit has to hurt you, you might as well adopt a leopard or a 12ft crocodile and walk either around on a leash and let it lie on your couch.

12. Elaine Lowry says:

I had a pit bull and he was the sweetest, most gentile dog I have ever owned. People on here commenting have no idea what the situation was. We do not know what caused the dog to attack. It is evident so many people commenting here relish killing dogs.

13. Stupid, stupid, stupid suicidal people have pit bulls. Outlaw them, kill them ALL.

14. Stupid ignorant naive touchy feely morons die early! its called the evolutionary process! Theres nothing here of anymore interest : Next story

15. If you interested in a Pit Bull as a pet PLEASE read this, particularly if you have children present in your life!

I’ve been in animal care/rescue for years in an number of different capacities. Pit Bulls can be one of the sweetest, kindest and most patient dogs imaginable. They were easily trained and so gentle they were even called “nanny dogs” many years ago. But they had two flaws. One was their strength. Two was their desire to be exactly what the owner wanted. They have been bred and inbred by unscrupulous people until now the breed is no longer what it once was. My firm belief is that a recent, widespread movement to breed them for aggression has run against their normal good nature and has led to a sort of psychosis in the breed. I know dogs. I understand dogs. I’ve been around dogs my entire life, both professionally and in my regular life. I am also comfortable around firearms. I WOULD SOONER LEAVE A CHILD ALONE WITH A LOADED FIREARM THAN WITH A “FRIENDLY PIT BULL! Obviously you never know what any animal (including humans) will do in any situation. Any dog of any breed can and will bite with provocation. But how many maulings and deaths have to occur before otherwise rational people realize there is something drastically wrong with this breed?

16. Jim Morgan says:

Saweet Jesus, People still don’t get it!!

17. Gregg Velosi says:

But but but, they’re such good, gentle dogs. “But he’s never bit anyone!” right up until he mauls someone to death. Just curious when the last “Golden Retriever mauls child/jogger/owner to death” story might have been. Pitbulls needs to be unilaterally eliminated. If you get caught owning one that isn’t neutered, massive fine/jail time.

18. Mark David says:

Stupid fcking dogs. Stupider fcking owners.

19. Vox Veritas says:

Darwinism 101

Clearly a case of survival of the fittest. She was neither smart enough nor vicious enough to prevail.

Nature has selected.