By Rick Ritter

ELKTON, Md (WJZ) — 38-year-old Chermaine Mayo is the woman authorities said ran over and killed her own friend while trying to flee from a shoplifting spree.

“For me, it’s really sad to see that someone could just dehumanize someone like that and leave the scene,” says Captain Joe Zurolo, Elkton Police Department.

The spree happened around 1 a.m. on September 8.

Police said Mayo and her two accomplices, Donisha Harris and Keneesha Cunningham, tried leaving the Walmart off Pulaski Highway without paying for over $1,000 worth of merchandise.

A security officer followed the trio and tried snapping photos of their car.

“In an attempt to conceal the tag, the victim, Kaneesha Cunningham, jumped on the trunk of the vehicle and tried to use her body to cover tag,” said Captain Zurolo.

Police said Mayo was behind the wheel and reversed, hitting a curb, leaving Cunningham trapped under the car before reversing and hitting another curb.

“It’s crazy, I mean a total disregard of life in my opinion. They didn’t even attempt to at least render air” said Captain Zurolo.

Cunningham was pronounced dead on the scene, while the other two suspects fled on foot and were quickly apprehended.

Shoppers are now trying to fathom the crazy story.

“Not even like try to help her. They just ran. It blows my mind,” said Brittany Savage, of Elkton.

Many are left outraged over how a shoplifting incident could escalate to this.

“No need for it to rise to that level of violence where someone loses their life. Totally outrageous,” said Captain Zurolo.

Police said Mayo faces several charges including negligent manslaughter by vehicle and negligent auto homicide.

They said Harris was charged with theft and released on her own recognizance.

Follow @WJZ on Twitter and like WJZ-TV | CBS Baltimore on Facebook

Comments (36)
  1. Samuel Thomas says:

Released no bail? Wat.

2. Evan Thomas Patten says:

Kaneesha won’t be doing that again! But.. Charmaine din du nuffins!

3. Phil Rosenkranz says:

I heard that Chermaine was getting her life together and had ideas on how to end cancer…

1. Mecotor Pepotore says:

I was expecting the picture of a Norwegian who max-out the EBT card.

2. Bene Teau says:

I expected it to be a group of Amish! Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a group of peaceful Negros!

4. fully expected to see a picture of a white Christian male

5. Chermaine, Donisha, Keneesha – all you need to know

6. Steve Hollar says:

I needed a good laugh.

7. Dan Klein says:

Who is “outraged that a shoplifting incident could escalate to this?” I’m not. Three crooks botched a robbery and one idiot ran over one of her accomplices… so who are we supposed to be outraged with? The driver? The genius who dives on a moving car? The Wal Mart security guard? In my mind, if crooks want to take each other out, then they’re doing us all a favor.

8. Donny Dingle says:

Hillary in shade.

9. When I read the headline, and before I clicked, I knew ….

10. Scott Crabtree says:

Shoplifter’s Lives Matter!

11. Robert Martin says:

Chermaine, Donisha and Keneesha, uh, anybody care to guess the demographics? Same with illegal alien, muslim and indian names.

12. Alan Noel says:

They let her go because it was Trumps fault.

13. doctorfixit says:

Now they can get her for felony murder. Fantastic.

14. Mike Miller says:

To paraphrase Commander Kor of the Klingon Empire:
    The video would have been GLORIOUS !

15. They were in a big hurry to get to North Carolina to do some looting.

16. Sam Tehran says:

Given the exponential breeding rate of the species – that one death just took over 873 potential shoplifting welfare puppies out of the system.

17. Robert W Nagel says:

I always thought that a death in the commission f a felony was “felony murder”, not negligent homicide.

18. Gwen Cooper says:

The Mayor of Baltimore will soon do a press conference and say that shoplifters should just be given space to steal…and then she’ll bring charges against Wal-Mart, any police who showed up later, and EMS for not resurrecting St. Charmaine

19. dt60093 says:

I lived in Maryland about 20 years ago. Law enforcement there is very lax. Meanwhile across the river in Virginia law enforcement is very strict. All the lowlife in the DC area knows to live in DC or Maryland. I remember a woman in Virginia being arrested while serving her family’s Thanksgiving dinner because she had obtained something of value using a bad check. The Washington Post had a field day writing about it. In Maryland the police will tell a store that bad checks are simply a cost of doing business and are not a police matter.

20. Raymond Cervenka says:

What happened to the Felony murder rule?
    A death in the commission of a felony is considered murder.
    It’s not shop lifting with accomplices and over $1,000 on merchandise.
    Is conspiracy to commit commercial burglary and murder.

21. Dan Meyers says:

Chermaine, Donisha and Keneesha: The Amazing Bumbling Black Hoodrats®. Stop to help Keneesha after you run her over? Ain’t nobody got time for dat!

22. John E Walker says:

So sad. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

23. Shimmon Rockwerk says:

Is it me or does she look like Whoppie Goldberg ?

24. John Payton says:

I knew when I saw the headlines and the word Baltimore, that these clowns had to be black. Doesn’t Baltimore have any blacks that are off working a full time job instead of breaking the law?

25. Tango Victor says:

Chermaine, Donisha and Keneesha; sounds like snack cakes, like Ho Hos, Twinkies and Ding Dongs, or maybe a DC law firm. Death during felony would be felony murder, but charged with theft, and released on her own recognizance. Brought to you by Baltimore City State’s Attorney, Marilyn J. Mosby. Chermaine for sure got no recognizance no how.

26. ricardoqueso says:

Chermaine Mayo, Donisha Harris and Keneesha Cunningham.
    Of course… as always, it’s the Scandinavians again.

27. Rick Paquette says: