By George Solis

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A fire in northeast Baltimore burned throughout Wednesday afternoon into the night, fire officials said.

Fire crews responded just before 3:15 p.m. to an apartment fire in the 4400 block of Bowleys Ln.

Firefighters were containing the fires with heavy volumes of water, according to Baltimore Fire.

Seven firefighters and two others were taken to local hospitals after being injured. It’s believed the fire was caused by a gas explosion.

Baltimore Fire continues to update the public with more information on the cause of the explosion.

They say that once firefighters got into the building an explosion occurred causing two firefights to fall through the floor to the basement and injure five others.

They were injured by a gas explosion that happened inside the apartment, however BGE said Wednesday that at this time there is no indication as to the specific cause of the fire.

“As a reminder it could involve faulty equipment inside the premises,” A BGE spokesperson said.

At least two local residents were also injured and taken to local hospitals, a third resident was also injured but details of their treatment is not known.

Clark said one may have jumped out of the window.

Firefighters are unable to get inside the apartment to shut the gas off. BGE shut off the gas around 1 a.m. Thursday.

Fire chief has confirmed a firefighter who was taken to shock trauma is now in stable condition. Six others were taken to Bayview Burn Center. Two were released Thursday morning while four others remained for observation.

“Two of our members were basically knocked into the basement of the building, immediately we called for a mayday,” said Fire Chief Roman Clark.

One resident was in critical condition at a hospital, while another was treated on the scene with minor injuries.

“I heard this big loud boom!” said Tavon Shieles, a neighbor.

Shieles was at an adjacent building shortly after the explosion.

“Terrifying. It was like a scene out of a movie,” Shieles said.

Harrie Fowlkes said she rushed to try to get others out.

“I smelled the smoke and then me and my landlord, she opened the door, we just started knocking on the door, knocking on people’s doors,” Fowlkes said.

Hours after the initial call, flames were still roaring at this apartment complex.

WJZ’s George Solis shared radio transmissions between fire personnel before and after the gas explosion.

Mayor Catherine Pugh visited one of the injured firefighters.

“We’re really grateful, this could’ve been a lot worse,” Pugh said.

Amidst all the chaos Wednesday, a local couple helped the situation with an act of kindness.

Follow @WJZ on Twitter and like WJZ-TV | CBS Baltimore on Facebook

Comments
  1. Tickedoff Person says:

    Pray for all those injured…………..shame “magic wand promotions” take place within the fire department. no way he earned that gold badge.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s