FERNADALE, Md. (WJZ) — A 61-year-old man is dead after he was shot by an officer trying to enforce Maryland’s new ‘red flag’ law in Ferndale Monday morning.

Anne Arundel County Police confirmed the police-involved shooting happened in the 100 block of Linwood Avenue around 5:17 a.m.

RELATED STORIES:

According to police, two officers serving a new Extreme Risk Protective Order (Red Flag Law), a Maryland protective order to remove guns from a household, shot and killed the man listed on that order.

That man was identified as Gary J. Willis of same address.

Officials said Willis answered the door while holding a handgun.

Willis then placed the gun next to the door.

When officers began to serve him the order, Willis became irate and grabbed his gun.

One of the officers tried to take the gun from Willis, but instead Willis fired the gun.

The second officer fired a gun, striking Willis. He died at the scene.

No police officers were injured and others inside the house were unharmed.

Police continue to investigate the shooting. At this time it’s not clear who called police to alert them about Willis.

Anne Arundel County Police have only had nine “red flag” calls so far.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact the Homicide Unit at 410-222-4731. Callers wishing to remain anonymous are asked to call the Tip Line at 410-222-4700.

This is a developing story. Stay with WJZ for updates.

Follow @WJZ on Twitter and like WJZ-TV | CBS Baltimore on Facebook

Comments (276)
  1. Mort says:

This is why you should never vote democrat!

2. DateOfArticle? says:

The date on the article says…November 5, 2018 at 11:00 pm

3. Wayne Sideurmom says:

If you voted blue, then you voted for this. YOU.

1. Steve says:

People who vote blue don’t care. They want us dead. They’ll be celebrating this.

4. michael L barnes says:

Coming to somebodies door at that early in the morning is going to repercussion. Lucky you didn’t have two dead officers. Had a drug raid here 20 years ago and the owner of the house shot through the door killing an officer and it was in the early morning too. They really need to do better coverage of the situation before they show up at the door.

5. Ann says:

There will be many more over this BS…

6. Mitch mcmillon says:

5:17 am! Are you kidding me? Hell,yeah he came to the door,with a gun!! Who wouldn’t? That’s provocation by the pd.

7. Patrick M Sulley says:

“potentially dangerous” POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS?????? The only ones that proved dangerous…were the morons that shot him for someones subjective notion of “potentially dangerous”, Was the person that reported him as such a qualified Doctor? I hope the person who reported him is happy.

8. Hill Billy says:

“Under the law, family, police, mental health professionals can all ask for the protective orders to remove weapons,” said Sgt. Jacklyn David, with Anne Arundel County Police.”

So what we need to do is to report the police when they shoot someone and have their weapons taken away as they are a threat to the community! I for one will never give up my guns and if the police come into my property without a warrant I have the right to defend myself and property by the 4th amendment and if they don’t have a properly signed warrant and If they kick my door that is a home invasion and you have the right to defend your home property and effects. Then it is illegal on their part and it’s a war from there you can shoot them in the face where there is NO BODY ARMOR and THEY DON’T GO HOME EVER AGAIN!

When the government tries to take away the guns of the citizens, It becomes the DUTY OF THE CITIZENS to take away the right of the Government to Govern! – George Washington

9. Sharon Bral says:

Someone comes to my door at 5 AM I am going to answer with a gun also if they can take away my guns because somebody’s said some thing then I am going to fight for my rights . The police should have waited at least to a decent hour and approach the home not confrontational and informed him who said what this is too easy to DV situations and if someone just doesn’t like someone

10. Ross says:

This is total BS! You cannot do something like this without due process. You will see a lot more incidents like this because of this unconstitutional “law”.

11. Mark Burns says:

A vote for a democrat is a vote for communism.

12. Bowman says:

Why are they trying to start another Civil War? People will never give up their right to protect themselves.

I would walk away from my dream home if this happened in my state.

13. Denmeade Zach says:

The man was in his constitutional right, the cops were breaking the law trying totake away this mans firearms without due process. It’s sad this man died fighting to protect his American rights from a Nazi established Law. The Cops SHOULD NOT be enforcing these unconstitutional laws period.

14. Mark says:

Can we please see the officer’s body cam video?

15. Peter says:

Ridiculous, a family member could have been notified and removed the weapon possibly in a more rational manner,unless it was family member that called this in, this Law is going to be abused wherever it has been instituted, The GESTAPO has begun, nothing has been learned from the past but how to promote something to enable disarming the citizens..

16. Mr says:

nothing more than legalized murder

17. content426 says:

Government officials guilty of homicide, while violating a 2nd Amendment right.

18. Charles Oliver says:

Why cops are not trusted. If someone comes to my home with intent to take something from me I
    Will shoot them. Not to injure. I was taught to protect me n mine not be a punk and shy from a fight if need be. If a cop comes here. I’ll just lock my door, push my button and release the bear dog from his pen. His name is max. He weighs 300lbs.

19. jiffytubes says:

Come to my door at 5AM.. and I will stick my cats on you. They’re trained ninjas..just kidding, but I am a black belt – they better know how to defend themselves when they break down my door.

20. Steve Hollar says:

I do not support the Red Flag laws, but, this guy handled things really poorly. Looks to me like the cops had no other choice.

1. Cam says:

We only have the “Official” version of events.