FT. WASHINGTON, Md. (WJZ) — Prince George’s County fire crews responded to Potomac High School in Ft. Washington for a reported backpack on fire Tuesday morning.

At around 9:30 a.m., a cell phone, the model not known,  apparently overheated in a student’s backpack which generated heat and smoke.

READ MORE: Women Charged With Arson After Allegedly Setting Fire To One Of Their Mother's Home

The school was evacuated and a security officer was transported out of the school for a smoke-related illness.

READ MORE: Baltimore City Schools Announces Summer Operating Schedule

The backpack was handled quickly and the fire did not extend past the area.

Some students did experience irritation from the residual odor and were evaluated by medics, but not transported.

MORE NEWS: Governor Hogan Celebrates First Greater Baltimore Area Fortune 500 Companies In A Decade

Follow @WJZ on Twitter and like WJZ-TV | CBS Baltimore on Facebook