ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ) — The accused killer in the attack on a Maryland newsroom last year faced a judge again Tuesday as attorneys edge closer to trial.

One of Jarrod Ramos’ defense attorneys had a death in the family and was unable to attend Tuesday’s court hearing, leading the judge to postpone some motions, including issues involving his tax and jail records.

Ramos is accused of gunning down journalists inside the Capital Gazette office in Annapolis almost exactly one year ago. Five people died in the attack.

Since then, attorneys have grappled over evidence disclosures and Ramos’ mental health. The defense had previously entered an insanity plea.

He has since pleaded not criminally responsible by reason of insanity.

Inside the courtroom Tuesday, Ramos sat silently as the judge granted an extension on a state-conducted psychiatric evaluation.

The judge said while Ramos has been interviewed, the state health department is still waiting on records.

“Thoroughness is important in terms of this report,” the judge told attorneys for both sides.

The 39-year-old faces 23 charges, including first-degree murder.

Related Coverage:

Police believe he plotted the attack after a long-standing grudge against the paper, barricading the newsroom’s back door and setting off smoke grenades before opening fire with a shotgun.

Jury selection is set to begin in late October.

Kimberly Eiten

Comments