BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A number of cooling centers are opening in parts of Maryland due to prolonged excessive heat.
ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY
In Anne Arundel County, more than two dozen cooling centers will be open from Tuesday through Sunday.
A number of senior centers will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday through Friday. The list includes:
- Annapolis Senior Center: 119 South Villa Avenue, Annapolis
- Arnold Senior Center: 44 Church Rd, Arnold
- O’Malley Senior Center: 1275 Odenton Road, Odenton
- Pasadena Senior Center: 4103 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Pascal Senior Center: 125 Dorsey Road, Glen Burnie
- South County Senior Center: 27 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
County public libraries will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, including:
- Broadneck Community Library: 1275 Green Holly Drive, Annapolis
- Brooklyn Park Community Library: 1 East 11th Avenue, Baltimore
- Crofton Community Library: 1681 Riedel Road, Crofton
- Eastport-Annapolis Neck Community Library: 269 Hillsmere Drive, Annapolis
- Edgewater Community Library: 25 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
- Glen Burnie Regional Library: 1010 Eastway, Glen Burnie
- Linthicum Community Library: 400 Shipley Road, Linthicum
- Maryland City at Russett Community Library: 3501 Russett Common, Laurel
- Mountain Road Community Library: 4730 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Odenton Regional Library: 1325 Annapolis Road, Odenton
- Riviera Beach Community Library: 1130 Duvall Highway, Pasadena
- Severn Community Library: 2624 Annapolis Road, Severn
- Severna Park Community Library: 45 West McKinsey Road, Severna Park
The county’s police stations will open their community rooms as cooling centers from 11 a.m. Tuesday to 8 p.m. Sunday.
Those who need a ride to a cooling center can call 410-222-0022.
Baltimore City’s Health Commssioner declares a Code Red Extreme Heat Alert when the forecasted heat index reaches 105 degrees. At that point, cooling centers, located at senior centers and Community Action Partnership Centers, will open.
The Community Action Partnership centers that open cooling centers when an alert is issued are:
- Northern Community Action Partnership Center, 5225 York Road, (410) 396-6084
- Southern Community Action Partnership Center (closed on Sundays), 606 Cherry Hill Road (inside the shopping center 2nd floor), (410) 545-0900
- Northwest Community Action Partnership Center, 3939 Reisterstown Road, (443) 984-1384
- Southeast Community Action Partnership Center, 3411 Bank Street, (410) 545-6518
- Eastern Community Action Partnership Center, 1731 E. Chase Street, (410) 545-0136
All of those locations are open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays and from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekends.
Senior centers that open cooling centers from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays include:
- Waxter Center for Senior Citizens, 1000 Cathedral Street, (410) 396-1324
- Oliver Center, 1700 Gay Street, (410) 396-3861
- Sandtown-Winchester Senior Center, 1601 N. Baker Street, (410) 396-7725
- Hatton Center, 2825 Fait Avenue, (410) 396-9025
- John Booth, 2601 E. Baltimore St., (410) 396-9202
- Zeta Center, 4501 Reisterstown Rd., (410) 396-3535
The latest hours and locations can be found by calling 311.
Catholic Charities will also open Our Daily Bread, My Sister’s Place, My Brother’s Keeper and the Weinberg Housing and Resource Center as cooling centers Sunday. Dormitories will also be open for the homeless to avoid the heat.
Baltimore County’s 19 public library branches as well as its senior centers also serve as cooling centers.
The libraries are open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday.
The senior centers are open weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. to the general public regardless of age on extremely warm days.
In Carroll County, cooling centers are available even when there is not a declared heat emergency. Its libraries are open from 9 a.m. to 8:45 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday. The Eldersburg and Westminster branches are also open from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday.
- Eldersburg Branch, 6400 Hemlock Drive, Eldersburg
- Finksburg Branch, 2265 Old Westminster Pike, Finksburg
- Mt. Airy Branch, 705 Ridge Avenue, Mt. Airy
- North Carroll Branch, 2255 Hanover Pike, Hampstead
- Taneytown Branch, 10 Grand Drive, Taneytown
- Westminster Branch, 50 East Main St., Westminster
A number of community and senior centers also serve as cooling centers between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, including:
- Citizen Services Office Building, 10 Distillery Drive, Westminster (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Mount Airy Senior and Community Center, 703 Ridge Avenue, Mount Airy
- North Carroll Senior and Community Center, 2328 Hanover Pike, Hampstead
- South Carroll Senior and Community Center, 5928 Mineral Hill Rd, Eldersburg
- Taneytown Senior and Community Center, 220 Roberts Mill Road, Taneytown
- Westminster Senior and Community Center, 125 Stoner Ave, Westminster
Cooling centers will be open at libraries in Harford County from Wednesday through Sunday. They will be open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
- Aberdeen – 21 Franklin Street, Aberdeen
- Bel Air – 100 E. Pennsylvania Avenue, Bel Air
- Edgewood – 629 Edgewood Road, Edgewood
- Fallston – 1461 Fallston Road, Fallston
- Havre de Grace – 120 N. Union Avenue, Havre de Grace
- Jarrettsville – 3722 Norrisville Road, Jarrettsville
- Joppa – 655 Towne Center Drive, Joppa
- Norrisville – 5310 Norrisville Road, White Hall
- Whiteford – 2407 Whiteford Road, Whiteford
The Bel Air and Aberdeen branches will also be open from noon to 5 p.m. Sunday.
The Darlington branch, 1134 Main Street, Darlington, will be open from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday, noon to 5 p.m. Thursday, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.
Howard County will have cooling centers open during normal business hours Wednesday at senior centers, community centers and libraries.
Anyone who needs assistance should call 410-531-6677 or 911 in an emergency.
Recreation centers will have extended hours on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., including:
- Bauer Drive Community Recreation Center
- Jane E. Lawton Community Recreation Center
- Long Branch Community Recreation Center
- Plum Gar Community Recreation Center
- White Oak Community Recreation Center
Residents can call 311 for general questions about county services.
For other locations in Maryland, click here.