ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ) — A Maryland judge has ruled the graphic video of a shooting inside the Capital Gazette newspaper office that killed five people can be shown during the suspect’s trial.
Judge Laura Ripken said Wednesday during a pretrial hearing that she agreed with prosecutors, who described the surveillance video as “a witness” in the case.
The video from the front and rear doors of the newspaper’s offices is the State’s “Exhibit A” in the case against Jarrod Ramos, whose defense team wanted to limit come trial.
Prosecutors said the alleged Capital Gazette gunman “methodically and deliberately,” hunted Gerald Fischman, Rob Hiaasen, John McNamara, Rebecca Smith and Wendi Winters who were all killed in the shooting.
Ramos is charged with 23 counts, with five counts of first-degree murder.
At issue during a motions hearing Wednesday is a defense request to limit a majority of the surveillance video from that day.
The State argued all 18 minutes of the video matter because they show Ramos’ mannerisms as well as victims’ and survivors’ fear and will to live.
The only video the public has seen of that day shows him being led out of the newspaper offices by law enforcement.
But, the State said Wednesday, the video shows him arriving in a different look- with his hair in a ponytail, shooting glasses on and earplugs in.
They said the video will also prove he intended on changing his appearance after the attack.
The judge has so far ruled the video is relevant to all counts of the indictment, and while prejudicial- is not unfairly so.