TOWSON, Md. (WJZ) — A small fire and a power outage in the Towson Town Center Mall prompted moments of panic and an evacuation Friday night.
Baltimore County Fire officials said that a fire broke out in the food court, then a power outage also happened at the same time, and it led to a few moments of confusion and panic.READ MORE: Maryland Dept. Of Health Website Operational After Cyberattack
“All the power just went out and everybody is screaming and you on the intercom, talking about a fire going on,” Christian Scott said.
A fire and power outage both happened at the same time in the mall around 7:45 p.m. Power has since been restored to the building.
#bcofd BUILDING FIRE TOWSONTOWN CENTER// CMD advising fire in food court is out// electrical power out in the mall//mall being evacuated. DT1942.^TF
— Baltimore County Fire Department (@BaltCoFire) October 18, 2019
Baltimore County Fire officials said they quickly extinguished a small grease fire at one of the restaurants in the food court, and after investigating, discovered the power outage was unrelated to the fire and was caused by an electrical issue.READ MORE: Pending Regulatory Approval, Sportsbook At Horseshoe Casino Could Open Friday
An evacuation was ordered.
Fire crews had to rescue some people who got stuck in elevators.
“We had multiple people that were stranded inside of elevators as they attempted to evacuate the mall,” officials said.
The mall was closed as a result of the incidents.MORE NEWS: Man Accused Of Killing Evelyn Player Was Working In Her Church, Attorney Says; Will Plead Not Criminally Responsible
Officials said no one was injured.