ROCKVILLE, Md. (WJZ) — Firefighters battled a two-alarm fire at a gas station in Rockville Friday morning.

The fire was at the Sunoco gas station in the 700 block of Hungerford Drive just off of Rockville Pike, officials said.

All employees were evacuated and accounted for, a fire and rescue spokesperson said.

Rockville Pike, Hungerford Drive and Route 355 were closed between Montgomery College and the downtown Rockville Town Center.

Officials said the cause of the fire was accidental. Mechanics were working with a vehicle fuel pump when fumes were ignited by a nearby kerosene space heater.

The incident caused about $1 million worth of damage.

Comments