KINGSVILLE, Md. (WJZ) — A home burned to pieces and claimed the life of a family dog after a two-alarm fire broke out in Kingsville on Wednesday afternoon.
“I got a call from my sister, she was hysterical,” Rose Baroody, a family member, said. “Telling me my sister-in-law’s house had burned to the ground.”
The fire broke out in the 11000 block of Franklinville Road. A tanker strike team was requested for additional water as crews fought the flames from the outside.
“Clouds of smoke and ash,” Julia Holland, a family member, said. “It was just terrible to watch the whole thing just falling.”
In total, 32 crews were called to the scene, officials said.
Chopper 13 was over the scene as one of the home’s chimneys collapsed due to the flames.
Two dogs were inside the home at the time the fire broke out; one was able to escape but the other died, officials said.
“A contractor, he went in and tried to get the dogs out of the home,” Nicholas Tyson, a Baltimore County Fire Specialist, said. “There were two dogs in the home, one dog made it out.”
Holland told WJZ the large farmhouse was built in 1850 and was under renovation.
“So many memories there,” she said. “Wedding parties, graduation parties. It’s just very sad.”
Officials have not said what sparked the fire. They also have not confirmed whether or not anyone was in the house at the time, but said there were no major injuries except for the loss of the dog.