HYATTSVILLE, Md. (WJZ) — A Prince George’s County school community is mourning the loss of a beloved coach and counselor who died from coronavirus.
In a message to the parents, students and staff, Prince George’s County Schools Chief Education Officer Monica Goldson announced the passing of Terrance Burke, a counselor and basketball coach at Northwestern High School in Hyattsville.
” I know this news is devastating and shocking to many in the Northwestern High School community and all who knew and loved him. Please know that my heart is breaking with yours and I am praying for your strength and comfort during this time,” Goldson wrote. “Please know that my heart is breaking with yours and I am praying for your strength and comfort during this time.”
Burke is the first fatally identified in the state from the COVID-19 pandemic. Ten people in total have died in the state and as of Saturday night, there are over 1,000 positive cases in the state.
A support team of school psychologists, professional school counselors and pupil personnel workers can provide support remotely.
- Coronavirus Resources: How To Get Help In Maryland
- Here Are The Symptoms Of Coronavirus And When To Seek Help
- Coronavirus In Maryland: What We Know
- Coronavirus-Related Closings
- Latest coronavirus stories from WJZ
Goldson reminded the county schools community to help prevent the spread of this virus.
“We will continue to consult with our county and state Health Departments on next steps and follow their guidance on preventative measures, reporting protocols and communication,” she said.
Please use preventative measures in regards to social distancing and other steps:
- Stay at home as much as possible. If you must go out, maintain a 6-foot distance from others.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds on both sides and between your fingers.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Avoid people who are ill.
- Disinfect high-contact surfaces, such as door knobs and tables.
- As the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends, if you think you have been exposed to COVID-19 and develop a fever and symptoms, such as cough or difficulty breathing, please call a healthcare provider for medical advice.
- For additional information and resources, please visit www.pgcps.org/coronavirus.
“Please join me in extending our deepest sympathies to Mr. Burke’s family, friends, colleagues and the countless young lives that he impacted during his many years at Northwestern High School and throughout the PGCPS community,” Goldson continued. “We will make it through this time together. Please take care of yourselves and your loved ones.”