By Amy Kawata

ESSEX, Md. (WJZ) — Five family pets died after a fire started accidentally at an Essex home Wednesday morning.

Crews arrived to the scene around 7:16 a.m. They found the fire was still burning at a single-family home in the 300 block of Wye Road, and the roof had partially collapsed.

READ MORE: Winter Weather Advisory In Effect Through Saturday; Blizzard Warning Issued For 3 Eastern Shore Counties

“Crews arrived to find heavy fire showing from the rear, they made an aggressive interior attack, were able to put the fire out,” an official said.

Firefighters got the flames under control around 8 a.m.

READ MORE: Over 100 Flight Delays, 43 Cancellations Reported At BWI Airport

Fire officials said no one was home when the fire started due to an unattended stove.

A neighbor, who initially noticed the fire, rushed over and kicked in the door to help rescue the animals. However, three dogs and two cats perished in the fire.

MORE NEWS: LIVE LOOK: Ocean City Expecting Up To A Foot Of Snow

That neighbor was evaluated by medics for minor injuries.