ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ) — Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan is discouraging Marylanders from traveling out-of-state after other states are seeing spikes in coronavirus cases.

Hogan made the announcement Wednesday during a press conference where he said a recent increase in COVID-19 cases has been linked to bars.

>>WJZ has a new news app! Download it now!<<

“We’re also advising that Marylanders refrain from traveling to areas that are experiencing rapidly escalating numbers,” Hogan said. “Any Marylander who is traveling to or is returning from travel out-of-state, especially from those states that are experiencing spiking numbers, should get tested.”

CORONAVIRUS RESOURCES:

Hogan doubled down on people needing to wear masks in businesses, on public transportation and should continue to practice social distancing and avoid large gatherings.

For the latest information on coronavirus go to the Maryland Health Department’s website or call 211. You can find all of WJZ’s coverage on coronavirus in Maryland here.

Comments (11)
  1. What are they going to do, shoot you if you do?

1. ron says:

They’re not going to do anything. None of this in enforceable. Just whipping up the hysteria.

2. Wayne says:

I’m glad he tells us what we should do, because I would have no idea what I shouid do without my employee telling – I’m sorry, “directing” – me. What kind of politician says, “I’m was asking you, now I’m directing you”? I’d like to see him step a little closer and say it. And then three days later the idiotic people of the state give him an 85% approval rating. They get what they deserve. This guy is the worst of the worst.

1. DeeJay says:

I don’t think he’s the “worst of the worst”, I mean it’s hard to top Coumo. I’m not a big fan, because he is pretty much a RINO in many regards just going along with the democrat majority in the local government. I think he’s trying to be reasonable. The biggest problems are related to how they manipulate the numbers and withhold the cure. Hospitals were told to now report their cases directly to the HHS, rather than filtering through the CDC which has been doing the number manipulating. When we get accurate information, things should lighten up. An0maly YouTube channel does a good job explaining how outrageous the numbers are. The “0” is a zero, not a typo. As for cures, that information should be coming out soon.

3. ron says:

You can go to FL. Their rates of infection are one-tenth what they’ve been reporting.

1. Josh says:

I live in Florida, My wife works for a hospital system in South Florida. The ICUs are running way beyond capacity and they are running out of PPE again. This thing is out of control. There are no conspiracies guys…this is real.

2. John Claba says:

I have a lot of family in the Tarpon/Clearwater area….two of which are nurses at two different hospitals there……Wake up from your nap Trumpman….The hospitals are running AT CAPACITY right now as I type this….Enough of your nonsense…if you are going to post misinformation….do the country a favor and REFRAIN.

4. Plum Crazy says:

But he totally ignored the fact that thousands of others from other states have been coming in vacationing at the beach and who knows what all they are bringing in with them. He’s just washed his hands of all the real problems. Typical politician!

5. Bob says:

states next to us have lower rates if you look at the real numbers. why get tested when its safer there than in MD? go somewhere with less covid so we want you to get tested. good logic.propaganda wagon continues, just wants polls open for in person voting so he gets those rep votes. keep spouting how great we are doing as pretty much every number that matters increases day after day. some of us have to work, cant just sit back and look at our stock numbers go up or down.

6. Bad Penguin says:

So we are being told that vaccines and after getting Covid 19 our bodies forget how to make antibodies that fight it after 3-4 months and we are expected to believe that not traveling is going to save us? BS

Money should be spent on protecting the most vulnerable and not the healthy general population that barely get sick from it.

7. a mom says:

Those who “barely get sick from it” are the ones who spread it to the most vulnerable people moron! They are the superspreaders who are out & about making more people sick. The kids live and grandma and grandpa and anyone who already has health issues dies.

Yeah it was a mistake to open OC and bars/restaurants- made it spike again- opening schools would be a mistake. They need to keep anything that would attract tourists closed- we are “safer” than many states, so people want to have fun here. Don;t give people a reason to come here.

We may never have a vaccine or cure for COVID and Trump is so delusional he is just playing golf, getting his advice from a handbag designer & ignoring medical experts.

MD needs to enforce some heavy duty fines for anyone not wearing a mask off of their own property.