BALTIMORE (WJZ) — When a new snowball stand opened at Locust Point, some weren’t too happy — vandalizing and destroying property. The owner isn’t letting that get her down as the community rallies behind here.

Ice Queens opened a few months ago and top of dealing with the pandemic, they’ve faced some push back from what seems like a small group of people, but as the line of customers indicates, they are definitely be supported.

For 22-year-old Dasia Kabia, opening a snowball stand has been a dream.

Despite battling a pandemic, that dream became a reality when they opened Ice Queens in Locust Point on Memorial Day weekend.

“To start a new business in this kind of world was, like, stressful,” Kabia said.

Adding to that stress, some made them feel less than welcome.

“From the moment that I got here, there were people saying negative things,” she said. “Why are we here, we don’t want this kind of business in our area, we don’t want you here and that was hard.”

There was even some vandalism, property stolen, and handmade signs torn down. The community outraged at these acts of hatred.

“It’s honestly really heartbreaking to hear,” said Amber Matthew.

“I think it’s horrible, it doesn’t make any sense to me,” Julia Truman said.

“It really made me angry that that’s happening here in Baltimore,” said Sean Haggerty.

But with the bad came an overwhelming amount of good as people travel to show support for this minority-owned business.

“It’s important for people to have a chance to prosper in this country and beyond,” said Davon Collins.

“I thought that I would come down today and try their snowballs for the first time and support a Black-owned business,” Sadie Baker said.

“We’ve got to uplift them,” Truman added. “We can’t let them go through it by themselves.”

Even City Council President Brandon Scott and local police leadership stopped by.

“Who in a moment like this, when it’s as hot as it is, would try to discourage these women from running a snowball stand?” Scott asked. “[It’s] something that’s just as Baltimore as Old Bay on crabs.”

“Even with the negativity, there’s been so much positivity and so many people that are like, ‘hey we believe in you.’ And that’s been so encouraging especially at my age, especially being a Black woman,” said Kabia. “The swarm of support that came to me was amazing.”

Community Shows Up For Block Party Supporting ‘Ice Queens’ Snowball Stand, Black-Owned Business That Was Vandalized

They have been able to raise money for a new security system. In addition, police will be increasing their presence in the area.

If you want to show your support, on Saturday they will be hosting a block party. So you can come out and try one of their snowballs.

Sean Streicher

Comments (9)
  1. BLM TASK FORCE says:

We need to make red hat racists afraid again! Entrepreneurs are the backbone of this country, support them, support someone doing something positive in the community, especially something that kids enjoy..

2. chrissfarmer says:

It has nothing to do w/ not liking a snow cone stand, it is just racism because some Whites do not like a successful Black woman owned business in their community. The same people badmouth Black women for being “welfare queens” then do this when one opens a business. Sorry, Black women and all those who support them are too strong for you small minded racists. You may have flourished & been encouraged under Trump, but Trump and racists are on the way out. The community is behind Ice Queens and not you!

Dasia, you are BEAUTIFUL!

3. Charmaina V Clay says:

I’m so tired of people expressing surprised over racism in America. I mean, really?

4. a mom says:

At least most people know racism is a problem and are expressing disgust and not surprise. I wish we had a snowball stand around here! We do have an ice cream truck that comes thru, a Black owned business, and of course a racist tried to spread the rumor that he (wearing a mask) was “spreading COVID” w/ an ice cream truck. Fortunately all that did was to increase his business to spite the racist who made the false claim, that was refuted by several members of the community w/ medical expertise.

5. Tyree says:

I don’t believe it and think it’s nothing more then a publicity stunt to attract business. Let face it that area is full of white liberals and I just don’t have them doing that kinda stuff, because at the end of the day this heifer is just another snowball stand. But I have to give this sister credit cause she’s got all those white folks buying them white guilt snowballs.

1. Bubba Smolett says:

I think you may be on to something…. what a great way to boost business. Vandalize your own store, don’t mention race because everyone will ASSUME it was someone white hating them because it’s black owned ( given today’s “evil white man” climate perpetrated by the media and race baiters), then call the news and report it!!. Genius business plan to attract all of the white guilt customers along with the BLM crowd. I wonder if the new King of Baltimore( you know who you are Brandy) stopped by with his entourage yet for his piece of publicity? The only thing missing is from this “racist incident” is the planted noose…..

6. Lucy says:

This already was a successful business. What some racist trumper did only served to make it even more successful. Always said that racists are not too smart. Daisha Kabia is the smart one so you keep right on selling those snowballs because the community is behind you and not the stupid low life criminal racist LOL! I only care what color my snowball is and not the person who sold it to me.

7. chrissfarmer says:

Amen! Let that long line show racists just how ineffective and irrelevant you are.

8. V says:

“white guilt” is the term racists use for whites who are not racists because racists have a hard time understanding most people patronize businesses because they are convenient or provide a good or service they are happy with, regardless of the color of the owners and employees.