By CBS Baltimore Staff

HAGERSTOWN, Md. (WJZ) — A man suffered second-degree burns after the fire he was trying to start using gasoline grew quickly and surrounded him, the state fire marshal’s office said.

The fire happened shortly after noon at a home in the 1100 block of Pope Avenue in Hagerstown. The fire marshal’s office said the man used gas to start a fire in an open area next to a garage when fumes ignited, causing a flash fire.

The victim was taken to the Bay View Burn Center in Baltimore with second-degree burns to his arms, neck, face and the back of his head.

No damage was reported and the incident appears to be accidental, officials said.

CBS Baltimore Staff

Comments
  1. Slinky says:

    Darwin from his grave sighs.

Leave a Reply