GAITHERSBURG, Md. (WJZ) — A space heater is to blame for a fire in Montgomery County, according to officials.

Officials say it happened late Wednesday night at a townhome on Bayridge Drive in Gaithersburg.

READ MORE: Baltimore County Police Looking For Missing 14-Year-Old

The space heater in the basement bedroom caused bedsheets to catch fire, officials say.

 

READ MORE: Police ID Men Killed In Dorchester County Double Homicide

By the time crews arrived, the first floor had collapsed.

A man had to be rescued from the basement and is now hospitalized with significant burns, according to officials.

Another person was also hurt but is expected to be okay. Several others were able to safely escape but are now without a home.

MORE NEWS: Weather Alert Day For Friday And Saturday Due To Snow Potential

The fire caused over $500,000 in damage.

CBS Baltimore Staff