BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A one-year-old boy died from fentanyl poisoning in Baltimore earlier this month, an autopsy report found.
City police officers responded to a home in the 1300 block of N. Mount Street in West Baltimore on Dec. 14 after a call about a baby that was found unresponsive.
When they arrived, they found the infant, Tyler Burgess, wasn’t breathing. Officers tried to render aid and called for medics to take the child to an area hospital. But, the baby was pronounced dead.
The child’s remains were taken to the medical examiner’s office for an autopsy. On Dec. 23, the medical examiner ruled Tyler’s death was a homicide and that he died from fentanyl poisoning.
On Christmas Day, balloons and stuffed animals memorializing the baby were still on display at the nearby William McAbee Park.
Neighbors remain shocked by Burgess’ death.
“I just pray that the family is safe,” one neighbor said, adding the proximity to the holiday makes it extra painful. “I pray for them, for their loss and hope everything gets better.”
Police have not said how the fentanyl may have gotten into the boy’s system. No arrests have been made in the case.
Homicide detectives are investigating this incident and are asking anyone with information to call (410) 396-2100 or call Metro Crime Stoppers at 1-866-7lockup.