WASHINGTON, DC (WJZ) — One U.S. Capitol police officer was killed and another officer was injured after a man rammed his vehicle into a barricade on the north side of the Capitol building Friday afternoon in Washington D.C. The suspect, who is an American citizen, also died.

The officer has been identified as William F. Evans.

READ MORE: Officer Kevin Shaver Released From Hospital After Attack Outside U.S. Capitol

“It is with a very, very heavy heart that I announce that one of our officers have succumbed to injuries,” U.S. Capitol Police Acting Chief Yogananda D. Pittman said.

She asked for prayers for the officer’s family and colleagues.

CBS News reports the driver of the car has been identified as 25-year-old Noah Green.

Noah Green, 25, has been identified as the driver in the latest U.S. Capitol Attack. Photo Credit: CBS News.

The officers were struck near a security checkpoint on Constitution Avenue.

William F. Evans Identified As Officer Killed After U.S. Capitol Attack

Pittman said after the driver rammed the officers at the barricade, he got out of the vehicle and was shot by Capitol Police officers after he ran “aggressively” toward them with a knife.

An investigation is underway into what led to the incident.

President Joe Biden was at Camp David at the time of the incident. The U.S. Attorney General was also notified of the incident.

Police said the suspect was not known to U.S. Capitol Police and the incident doesn’t seem to be terrorism-related.

U.S. Capitol police sent an alert around 1:04 p.m. Friday locking down the building “due to an external security threat” and staff members were told they could not enter or exit the building.

Congress is in recess this week, so lawmakers are not in the building.

READ MORE: William F. Evans Identified As Officer Killed After U.S. Capitol Attack

The incident occurred about 100 yards from the entrance of the building on the Senate side of the building.

Video posted online showed a dark blue-colored sedan crashed against a vehicle barrier and a police K9 inspecting the vehicle. Law enforcement and paramedics could be seen caring for at least one unidentified individual.

A photo of the suspect vehicle at the U.S Capitol police incident.

This comes nearly three months after a pro-Trump mob stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6. 2021. It’s the first time the U.S. Capitol has been placed on lockdown since the insurrection.

There has been some debate about whether or not to keep a high fence up near the U.S Capitol. Fencing that prevented vehicular traffic near that area was recently removed as the Capitol has started to open up after the Jan. 6 riots.

This is the second time a USCP officer died protecting the Capitol this year. The first was Officer Brian Sicknick who died following the Jan. 6 riots. Two other Capitol Police officers took their own lives after the riots in January. So the department has lost a total of four officers this year.

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi has ordered flags to be flown at half-staff at the U.S. Capitol.

Several lawmakers tweeted their thoughts on the incident:

Maryland Lawmakers, Police Departments Offer Condolences, Support After U.S. Capitol Police Officer Killed Friday

“We are horrified by the death of another US Capitol Police Officer in the line of duty. Maryland stands ready to provide any assistance that is necessary,” said Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan.

“Let us all pray for the injured [Capitol Police officers.] I am grateful for these patriotic public servants who put their lives on the line day in and day to protect us and were injured in this horrific assault. I will share info as I receive it,” Rep. Dutch Ruppersberger (D-Md.) tweeted.

“My prayers are with the two injured officers from this attack The brave men and women of Capitol Police go into work each day to protect those that work at the seat of our democracy. This year, they’ve faced unimaginable challenges. We’re all pulling for their quick recovery,” tweeted Rep. Anthony Brown (D-Md.).

MORE NEWS: AP Source: Police Suggest Keeping US Capitol Fence For Months

The investigation into this incident remains ongoing.

CBS Baltimore Staff