ELLICOTT CITY, Md. (WJZ) — Howard County Officials joined Friday to share the county’s planning progress for COVID-19 vaccine boosters and third doses.
Those with moderately to severely compromised immune systems are eligible for a third shot at this time. You can find a clinic in the county by visiting their vaccine portal.
The county has the highest vaccination rate in Maryland, but breakthrough infections are increasing amid the spread of the highly transmissible Delta variant.
- Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
- Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
- Advanced or untreated HIV infection
- Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response
The county said residents should talk with a healthcare provider to find out if a third dose is right for them.