A second person was shot in the head in the incident, WJZ has learned.By Rachel Menitoff

CATONSVILLE, Md. (WJZ) — Baltimore County police confirmed Wednesday they had taken “several individuals” into custody for a shooting in a parking lot at Catonsville High School the day before.

Police did not immediately provide more information on the number of arrests or the identities of those in custody.

That shooting rattled parents and students  Tuesday afternoon. It happened just before 3 p.m. and shortly after students had been dismissed for the day.

Police said there was “at least” one victim, a 16-year-old Catonsville High student who was taken to a trauma center and suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

But multiple sources told WJZ there was a second person shot in relation to the incident. That victim suffered a wound to the head and was treated at Ascension St. Agnes Hospital according to those sources.

One student-athlete said he heard three shots. “We saw a white car pull up. The passenger hopped out, and we started running toward the road. We heard more shots as we were running and saw the car drive off,” said senior Tyler Mikalaski.

The violence alarmed the chair of the school board who read the following statement at Tuesday’s board meeting:

“The Board of Education is deeply saddened and troubled by this afternoon’s shooting outside of Catonsville High School.

Any incident of gun violence or other violent acts in or around our schools is unacceptable and jeopardizes the sense of safety and security that school buildings provide for our more than 111,000 students. Our thoughts are with the student who was shot and their friends and family.

The Board will continue to provide all necessary supports to the school system to ensure they can provide safe and welcoming places of learning. We want to thank the Baltimore County Police Department for their quick response this afternoon and their ongoing partnership with the school system to keep students and staff safe.”

Leas than 24 hours later, students returned to class with an extra police presence and counselors on hand.

Student Grace Marsh told WJZ Investigator Mike Hellgren she is still on edge.

“I think that a lot of people were scared because you never think it’s going to happen at your school,” Marsh said. She also noted the visible officers “put it into perspective. It was real. I think that the school is going to have to recover. A lot of people are going to be shaken up by it. It’s obviously such a huge thing that happened.”

Wednesday’s basketball games were closed to spectators due to the shooting but not because of any threat. A school spokesman told Hellgren, “Regarding the basketball games, the decision was made to restrict the games to the teams and their coaches in light of yesterday’s events at the school. It was felt that it was important for the student-athletes and their coaches to focus on the games and competition at this time.”

Police provided more detail as to the motive and said the incident started as an argument off-campus and was “targeted.”

They said there will continue to be an enhanced presence of officers at the school.

“As detectives continue to pursue active leads in this investigation, anyone with information is asked to call 410-307-2020 or Metro Crime Stoppers at 1-866-7LOCKUP,” Baltimore County police said in their news release.