HOWARD COUNTY, Md. (WJZ) — The charges against a Howard County ROTC instructor were shocking.  Police accused him of having sex with a student.  But now those charges have been dropped.

Weijia Jiang reports that instructor is speaking out for the first time.

Sgt. Charles Moore’s nightmare is over.

“Today has been a blessing.  I thank God he’s seen me through this, that it’s finally a closure for my family and I,” Moore said.

Last May, the 52-year-old Atholton High Junior ROTC instructor was accused of having sex with his 17-year-old student inside a school closet multiple times.

On Tuesday, the state dropped all charges.

“If the evidence isn’t there, we’re not going to suggest the person to a crapshoot that maybe he would be found guilty.  Maybe he wouldn’t,” said Howard County State’s Attorney Dario Broccolino.

The case went to trial in November but jurors were deadlocked, resulting in a mistrial.  Prosecutors say  their case for a new one unraveled when the accuser’s testimony became inconsistent.  They say while semen was found at the scene, it wasn’t Moore’s.

Moore says his next move is trying to get his job back.  He says for the majority of the time he’s been suspended from the school system, it’s been without pay.  He taught at Atholton for six years after retiring from a 20-year career in the Army.  The father of two says support from loved ones got him through this harrowing ordeal.

“I’d like to thank my family, my friends, former students, current students, parents who have stuck by me through this,” he said.

Moore was charged with the sexual abuse of a minor and fourth-degree sex offense.

Comments (11)
  1. Older and wiser says:

I thought this was fishy from the start. High schoolers are too young to appreciate the pain they are inflicting on everybody when they bring these allegations. Seemed unlikely at best; why would it happen “several times” before she mentioned it, and then the involvement of the other male is too strange. I know it’s the classic “he-said she-said”, seemed an unlikely situation, but I guess anything is possible. At 17, a girl should know enough about life to avoid such situations or speak out immediately.

2. Herman Glimsher says:

HE SHOULD SUE HOWARD COUNTY!!!!

3. Older and wiser says:

It’s not Howard County that is at fault. If the student made false allegations, she should be sued. Howard County correctly followed the legal process once criminal allegations were made.

4. Herman Glimsher says:

HE’S BEEN SUSPENDED WITHOUT PAY AND HE SHOULD’VE BEEN REINSTATED IN NOVEMBER WHEN THE FIRST TRIAL WAS DECLARED A MISTRIAL……..THE COUNTY CHOSE TO ERR ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION INSTEAD OF WAITING FOR THE TRUTH TO COME OUT……….GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT…………………HE’S DEFINITELY GOT A CASE.

5. County man says:

This is why I refuse to ever work with children! It is just too risky in this witch hunt society of ours for a man to risk everything working with today’s desrespectful youth. Never for me!

6. ESM says:

Shouldn’t they have dna-tested the semen before they brought the charges against him…I would sue the heck out of the county if I was him. More needs to be done to protect people, it’s innocent until found guilty, not the other way around.

7. Shereese Maynard says:

There was never any question that the semen was not his. The trial didn’t judge him not to be guilty; just that they couldn’t prove it. The appearance of impropriety should exclude this man from working with children even if he’s not convicted. He’s thanking God but I have a feeling he needs to correct his morals.

8. Tom says:

That was a close one. Now he can go bang some more girls. He’s guilty. This guy will be doing it again somewhere else.

1. Cheryl says:

Do you know him, Tom? Is that how you know he’s guilty? I’m familiar with him and the program at AHS, and I thought it was fishy from the start. But I’m glad I have you to set me straight.