BALTIMORE (WJZ)– Baltimore City officials are taking a stand to get Occupy Baltimore protesters to leave McKeldin Square. Wednesday night, they turned off the electricity in the area.

Andrea Fujii has more on how that’s affecting the demonstrations.

Lights stay on 24/7 at McKeldin Square, but the power has been cut. Protesters say this won’t stop them.

“It is getting cold and it’s quite inhumane for them to turn off the power,” said Timothy Chin of Occupy Baltimore.

City officials flipped the switch after they say they found fire and electrocution hazards.

“People have spent thousands of years living without electricity,” Philip Hoyle of Occupy Baltimore said. “I can see people making ways around it again.”

Just last week, the city ruled that camping at McKeldin Square was illegal.

A view from Sky Eye Chopper 13 shows the tents that remain. Safety is a concern at the site after reports of theft and illegal drug use.

“The protesters don’t seem to have that same concern about public safety and I take public safety very seriously,” Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said.

Demonstrators say that’s not true.

“There’s been a lot of reports of violence and sexual activity and drugs and all this stuff,” Marcus Clary, a protester, said. “And mainly it’s just gossip and rumors.”

City Council members understand the concerns but are sympathetic to the movement.

“I would completely understand if they wanted to continue to stay there until they had a greater sense that what they’re asking for is being heard,” said Councilman Bill Henry of Baltimore’s District 4.

“They’re a self-governing group and I believe in democracy,” Councilwoman Mary Pat Clarke of District 14 said.

Demonstrators say they’ll continue the occupation with electricity or not.

The mayor has not said whether she plans to have the protesters evicted from the plaza.

The Department of Parks and Recreation declined to issue a permit for the protest.

Comments (246)
  1. moleman says:

Wanna bet if you protesters of the OWS lost your jobs tomorrow by the stroke of a pen somewhere on Wall st, you would be singing a far different tune. They have a right to be where they are, it’s their constitutional right & they have agreed to pay for the electricity. The Mayor & her fat ass will pay for this in the election.

1. Liberal Soldier says:

Blake-Rawlings is a politician and part of the problem. She is in the pockets of the 1% and treatment of the OWS Americans does not suprise me. When we vote in HONEST politicians that put our country first instead of their re-election coffers.

2. Buffalo Soldier says:

This country was founded on freebies, they took the land from the native american and gave free land to all white settlers.

1. Dinger says:

So, who did the “native Americans” displace when they settled the land?

3. Buffalo Soldier says:

Most of you guy are watching to much fox news and listen to that racist on wcbm 680 tom marr.

1. Dinger says:

Yeah, just like that racist Majik 95.9 and Tom Joyner.

2. Liberal Soldier says:

I did not know 680 CBM was still on the air.

3. Think For Yourself! says:

Please provide ONE EXAMPLE of how Tom Marr is a racist. And ‘Liberal Soldier,’ you poor misguided, angry, ignorant fool, your idiocy is showing.

1. Liberal Soldier says:

Calling names as usual. The DNA of a Conservative. I guess hate is something sowen into your very fiber. Anyway we disagree with one another so let it be. (If your DNA will let you) LOL

4. Marc says:

TO ALL PARTIES!!!

I stopped at the Baltimore Occupy site yesterday. I was expecting to get in that area closer to 4 PM, but got there actually about 3:45.

As I walked through the “camp” I saw there were about 25 to 30 tents set up. There was less than 10 people in the Occupy area, though. While I was there, a saxaphone player parked his car across the street and came into the area. He set up his donations bin and started playing.

I also saw, and photographed, more than 30 signs that were laying on the ground. There were two people sitting at a table near these signs. Both of these people looked, dressed, and smelled as if they were there, on site, part time. That is to say, they were going home, showering, eating, and sleeping and not living the Occupy lifestyle.

Now, there was a fellow dressed as the Grim Reaper. Grim stood near a sign which was painted on both sides, the back is the one which caught my attention. IT said, basically, that the Republican health care system was going to have people dying while the currentl Democrat one is the best. Since my wife has Multiple Sclerosis, I have PTSD, and three of our four children are frequently evaluated for learning disabilities at Johns Hopkins I am very familiar with the costs of healthcare. I summed up my situation about my meds and my wife’s meds and asked him why is it that, since Obamacare got pushed through, costs for my meds had gone up three times and my wife’s meds have become almost too expensive to buy. The only thing he was capable of saying was “Oh, I don’t think that’s so”. So, here is a REAL LIFE example staring him in the face and he cannot show sympathy for the situation all he can say is that he doesn’t believe it. He called me a liar in response to what I am experiencing.

All the times that I have driven past there (Daily since this started!!!) O have seen less than 10 people actually hlding signs and “protesting”. The first time I try to engage one of them, I get called a liar.

I will be back to talk to this crew. Next time, I may ask the well dressed, cleaned, and clearly not-sleeping-in-tents-on-the-streets people. Maybe they will have the spine to engage me in discussion.

5. po po po says:

Don’t remove them. It is the most out of towners the harbor has seen in years

6. Think For Yourself says:

To anyone thinking the avalanche of anti-OWS blather here is for real, Google “sock puppet”. These shills, often paid, descend on topics all over the internet and storm the comments sections to spread disinformation and try to sway public opinion. The fact is, unless you are filthy rich, you should be supporting the Ocuupy movement. It has nothing to do with being “liberal” or anything else, nor is it about “handouts”, nor is it only comprised of students, the unemployed, “potheads”, or any other thing the sock puppets try to smear it with. Do your own research away from these comment sections and think for yourself.

7. Think For Yourself! says:

To anyone thinking the avalanche of OWS support here is for real, Google “useful idiots”. These shills, often paid, descend on topics all over the internent and storm the comments sections to spread disinformation and try to sway public opinion. The fact is, only the filthy ignorant are supporting OWS. It has everything to do with being “liberal” and getting “handouts”, and is comprised of nothing but students, the unemployed, “potheads,” angry, sullen fools … and rapists … and any other thing the useful idiots can use, as they themselves are used by the very government unions and filthy rich they hate. Do your own research away from these comment sections and think for yourself.

8. Think For Yourself! says:

9. KissssssssssssIt says:

Poor silly confused pathetic little OWS (Oh, We Stink!) protestors … stomping their feet, banging their drums, scrawling their signs … and yet still taking time to smoke weed, drink heavily and rape their fellow protestors … kudos for multi-tasking! Please take your lice-infested stink fest a little further and set up camp next to your #1 supporter’s mansion on Pa Ave … [zer]0bama — and the other libs YOU voted for — are the ones who bailed out the people you “hate.” Go to the WH and let your prez know. I’m sure he’ll appreciate it. But first, do yourselves a favor and stop at the 7-11 and pick up some deodorant. Please.

10. Al Right says:

gtfo

The OWS Movement has collected over $600,000 in donations so far, and yet the homeless are shunned from partaking in their 5-Star Chef prepared meals…

How about… Occupy a Soup Kitchen?
    Get more ows facts on my site:

11. AL Righty says:

Can we just run the hippies over with tanks yet?

How about… Occupy a Soup Kitchen?
    Get more ows facts on my site:

12. Liberal Soldier says:

They are not leaving. Get over it.

13. Xavier Mikell says:

The greatest site for your camping and outdoor lifestyle needs. We review everything needed for your camping adventure from tents to sleeping-bags,torches, clothing and all the very best places to obtain at the best discounts online. If you are looking for an outdoor adventure you have found the site that will review and let you purchase everything related to camping. Take advantage of the outdoors in safety and comfort