NEW YORK (WJZ) — Security was tighter than ever at the New York City Marathon in light of the Boston Marathon attacks, but that did not stop some 50,000 runners from pounding the pavement.
Linh Bui reports.
The New York City Marathon returns after a one-year hiatus — and the event went off without a hitch.
A record 50,740 runners took part in Sunday’s New York City Marathon. It was canceled last year because of Superstorm Sandy, which hit Sheera Siegel’s New Jersey home.
“We had damage and we had no electricity. And so this, after all that training, after 18 months, it’s amazing,” Siegel said.
Because of the Boston Marathon bombings in April, there was heightened security in New York — including helicopters, bag checks and bomb sniffing dogs.
For Boston native David Fortier, the race was a comeback. He was caught in the chaos of the terror attack.
“My right foot was hit by a piece of shrapnel and I’ve lost some hearing in both ears,” said Fortier.
He said support from the crowd was overwhelming. The 26.2 mile course was packed with spectators.
“Literally, hundreds of people cheering ‘Boston strong!’ It was… it brought a tear to my eye a couple of times. It really did,” Fortier said.
Last year’s male champion, Geoffrey Mutai, did it again. Fellow Kenyan, Priscah Jeptoo, took the women’s title.
Maryland resident Tatyana McFadden won the women’s wheelchair race. She also took the titles in Boston, London and Chicago this year — completing an unprecedented marathon grand slam.
The 24-year-old was once part of the Bennett Blazers, the adaptive sports program at Baltimore’s Kennedy Krieger Institute.
In the end, there were no major security events. The marathon was successful and everyone involved was safe.
Other security measures? Scuba divers scanned bridges and shorelines, while 1,500 cameras lined the route.
Overall, race organizers spent twice as much on security this year compared with the last race in 2011.
Other Local News:
[display-posts category=”local” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]