BALTIMORE (WJZ) — It’s been nearly four months since a Baltimore man died in police custody. Still, officials remain silent about what caused his death.

Now some city leaders are sounding off, angry with the lack of information.

READ MORE: ALERT DAY: Extreme Heat & Humidity Creating Potentially Dangerous Conditions

Meghan McCorkell has more on their push for answers.

Tyrone West died during a traffic stop in Northeast Baltimore back in July. His autopsy has still not been completed.

Cell phone video captures frantic moments after a police confrontation with 44-year-old Tyrone West.

“They were hitting him with batons, they were kicking him in the head,” one witness told WJZ back in July.

“He was pulled out of the car. He was put on the curb. He was beaten. He was attacked by several officers,” said Attorney A. Dwight Pettit, who is representing West’s family.

But police contend West fought officers when they tried to search his car for drugs. He stopped breathing during the struggle.

West’s family members have led weekly protests outside city buildings, begging for answers.

READ MORE: Early Voting Wins Preakness Stakes Amid Record Heat

“We still have nothing. No autopsy, no death certificate. We have nothing. More questions than answers,” his sister said in a YouTube video.

Now members of the City Council have drafted a resolution to try and get more answers from police and the medical examiner.

“I really understand the pain when I look in the eyes of his sister and his aunts and his uncle,” said Councilman Nick Mosby.

Mosby is one of three council members to meet with the West family this week. He’s worried the lack of transparency on this issue is breeding mistrust in the community.

“When you allow something to be open-ended like this, it does nothing but exacerbate the current climate. And frankly, people are distrustful of the government right now,” he said.

He hopes the resolution encourages police and the medical examiner to appear in front of the City Council to shed some light on what happened to Tyrone West.

The council resolution will be introduced on Monday.

Eight city officers have been suspended pending the results of the police review. The state’s attorney will decide if any of them will face charges.

MORE NEWS: Ravens' Football Clinic Helps Children Improve Sports Skills

Other Local News:
[display-posts category=”local” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]