JEFFERSON, Md. (WJZ) — A shocking murder in Frederick County just three days before Christmas. The victim was a grandmother. Now a family member sits behind bars–charged in her death.
Rochelle Ritchie has the latest on the investigation.
Maryland State Police say the grandmother was murdered by her own granddaughter.
Christmas decorations outside of the home of 67-year-old Lillian Morris could put anyone in the holiday spirit. But sadly, there is no Christmas cheer at the home after the well-known grandmother was murdered in front of her Frederick County home on Monday.
“I can’t imagine what the family is going through right now.”
Police say the killer is 19-year-old Hestina Harris, Morris’ granddaughter.
“It’s a shock that something like this happened close to home because you never expect nothing like that.”
The victim’s body was spotted lying in her front yard by a person driving by.
Lillie Morris graduated from Brunswick High School back in the 1960s and later worked there as a teacher’s assistant. Police have not revealed a motive for the crime.
Hestina Harris, who was arrested at another relative’s home, is charged with first and second-degree murder and assault.
A vigil for Morris is scheduled for Friday at 5 p.m.
The victim’s granddaughter is being held without bond.
Other Local News:
- Fourth Measles Case Reported In Maryland
- A Maryland Judge Is Under Fire After She Denied Tyrique Hudson A Peace Order; He Was Later Killed
- Threats Of Wet Weather Spark Concerns In Ellicott City
- Seventh Pugh Aide Placed On Leave Amid ‘Healthy Holly’ Book Scandal
- Maryland Weather: Multiple Counties See Threats Of Severe Weather Friday Night