By Rick Ritter

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A Baltimore high school student remains hospitalized, in critical condition and fighting for his life. Police say another student stabbed the teen multiple times at Renaissance Academy in west Baltimore.

Rick Ritter has more on the victim’s condition and the teenager who’s accused of the crime.

The 17-year-old student is fighting for his life at Shock Trauma. His classmate who’s being charged with the stabbing remains in police custody. The bizarre incident has school closed on Wednesday.

What’s supposed to be a place of learning turned to a bloody crime scene. A science class at Renaissance Academy in west Baltimore ended with one student fighting for his life.

“It’s real sad when you send your child to school and you expect them to come home and they don’t come home,” said Marvin Carmichael.

Tuesday around noon, police say a 17-year-old sophomore walked into a classroom and stabbed another 17-year-old schoolmate.

“We don’t know all details, why one student entered the classroom and stabbed a student,” said TJ Smith, Baltimore Police.

It prompted officials to evacuate the school.

The stabbing is just the latest incident. Last week, a student brought a loaded handgun to school but never threatened anyone.

Police later captured Tuesday’s suspect a mile away near his home on Vine Street. Only WJZ was there while detectives spent hours searching for evidence. They wouldn’t confirm or deny whether they were looking for a knife the suspect may have disposed of.

“It could have been anyone. It could’ve been one of my children, you know?” said Antoinette Rouzer.

It’s another day of violence in a city that’s beyond its breaking point.

“I’m worried about my safety in the whole city of Baltimore,” Carmichael said.

Officials say the school did have metal detectors. Investigators are trying to determine how the student got the knife into school.

Booker T. Washington Middle School shares the building with Renaissance Academy. They’re also closed on Wednesday.

Renaissance Academy was slated to close its doors at the end of the year but that decision later changed. City Schools CEO Gregory Thornton says he’s now reconsidering that decision.

Rick Ritter

Comments (2)