By Ava-joye Burnett

CHILLUM, Md. (WJZ) — Heartbreak in Prince George’s County. Fast-moving flames take the lives of an elderly couple and their two young grandchildren.

Ava-joye Burnett has more on the investigation and the victims.

READ MORE: Chun Shoots 69 To Lead By 6 At Women's PGA Championship

Glaring lights and horns from fire engines–a devastating wake up call for people in one Prince George’s County neighborhood.

“This morning, at around 2 o’clock, I woke up to screaming, loud screaming,” said neighbor Rosamund Haynes.

A house off Knollbrook Drive was on fire. Trapped inside were seven people, including two-year-old twins.

“I heard someone saying, ‘Call 911! My babies are in there,'” Haynes said.

The twins, Anna and Israel Omijie, died at the hospital. Their grandparents, 63-year-old Samson and 55-year-old Caroline Omogbo, died at the home.

“As a parent, it’s not something that any parents hope for. It hurts. But as a believer, you know that they are in the hands of God, and it gives you a lot of comfort,” said Adele Benjamin, family friend.

READ MORE: Maryland Prepares For Increase In Patients After Roe V. Wade Overturned

Seven people were inside the home when the fire started. Investigators tell WJZ that the mother of the twins jumped from the second floor to save her life.

Firefighters found no working smoke detectors in the home. On Tuesday, they went door to door, trying to make sure this tragedy doesn’t repeat itself.

“I’m also encouraging people, as they go out today and buy a shovel or salt or a scraper, getting ready for this storm–buy a couple smoke alarms, put them up in your home, then go down the street, put them up next door, put them up down the street where someone is less able to help themselves. We shouldn’t be having people dying in homes that don’t have smoke alarms,” said Chief Marc Bashoor, Prince George’s County Fire Department.

Investigators are still trying to piece together how the fire started–a blaze that’s forever changed not only a family, but an entire community.

“Traumatic. I just can’t imagine. I am still very much shaken up over it,” said Haynes.

The family was renting the home. A neighbor tells WJZ they had just moved in last year.

MORE NEWS: Rewards Programs Can Offset Painful Prices At Baltimore Gas Stations

Three other people escaped the fire. They are expected to be OK.

Ava-joye Burnett