BALTIMORE (WJZ) — It was 15 years ago when the Baltimore Ravens were headed to Super Bowl XXXV. And now, as the 50th Super Bowl approaches, there is surely some nostalgia happening. Since the Ravens won’t be at the big game, here are six ways the Ravens are tied to the ‘Golden Anniversary’ through interesting connections:
1. Michael Oher – This will be Oher’s second Super Bowl appearance. He won a ring with the Ravens in 2012 after they beat San Francisco in New Orleans.
2. Gary Kubiak – Kubiak had spent 20 years with the Broncos as a player and a coach. His one season in Baltimore as a coach was a success. He drastically improved the offense, and turned the unit into one of the best in franchise history. He said the Broncos job was the only opportunity that could pull him away from Baltimore. But he did take a few favorites with him…
3. Owen Daniels – Daniels has played for Gary Kubiak his entire NFL career. He spent eight seasons with him in Houston and followed him to Baltimore in 2014. He caught 48 passes for 527 yards and four touchdowns and was a major player in the Ravens reaching the playoffs. But of course, when Kubiak left, Daniels did follow.
4. Cecil Newton- Cam Newton’s brother Cecil was signed to the Ravens practice squad in November 28, 2011 and played for two years while now Panthers player Michael Oher was in Baltimore.
5. Darion Stewart – On March 21, 2014, Stewart signed a one-year contract with the Baltimore Ravens and then the next year Stewart signed a two-year contract with the Denver Broncos. In his Broncos debut, he intercepted what could have been the game winning touchdown for his former team, the Baltimore Ravens. Tsk tsk tsk.
6. Steve Smith Sr. – Our beloved Steve Smith Sr. was once a Panther. The Ravens wide receiver could be considered one of the greatest players in Carolina Panthers history (well, at least before Cam Newton). He reached out to his former team on Twitter with only kind words. What a guy!
So there you have it! The six degrees of separation from the ‘Golden’ Super Bowl!