BALTIMORE (WJZ) —Three people were arrested on Monday night after a vigil for a slain rapper ‘Lor Scoota’ shut down an intersection in Northwest Baltimore.

City police–some dressed in riot gear– lined the street near the 1500 block of Pennsylvania Avenue where a vigil was being held for 23-year-old Tyriece “Lor Scoota” Watson, who was gunned down over the weekend. His killer remains at large.

The vigil was largely peaceful, Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said, until things took a negative turn when a handful of people started throwing bottles and bricks at police officers, who were trying to clear the streets.

RELATED: Clues Sought In Killing of Rising Baltimore Rapper ‘Lor Scoota’

“This was a largely peaceful gathering of people who cared for this young man that this city, really, really loved. This gathering tonight included just a couple people who decided to act in their own self interests and agitate the crowd, and in fact, we had rocks and bottles thrown at police officers. Now, we’ve been there, done that, and that’s not going to happen again. We’re not going to have police officers assaulted. We’re not going to have rocks and bottles thrown at our public safety officials — not because I don’t want it to happen, I certainly don’t want it to happen, but this community doesn’t want it to happen. So that’s not going to happen anymore. So our presence tonight is to keep the peace,” Commissioner Davis said.

RELATED: Funeral Planned Friday for Slain Baltimore Rapper

During a standoff with police, video posted by our media partner the Baltimore Sun show shouting and a confronting by city residents.

Democratic mayoral candidate Catherine Pugh also arrived on the scene Monday night to help with the situation. She was even seen taking pictures with residents.


Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake posted on Twitter Monday night that she was “monitoring the situation closely” with Police Commissioner Davis.

There were no injures reported on Monday night.

Rawlings-Blake said Pennsylvania Ave. reopened just before midnight.

Baltimore Police say they are still searching for the person who gunned down Watson over the weekend. They ask anyone who has any information to call police immediately.

Comments (2)

Leave a Reply