BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Police have arrested a suspect accused of shooting himself during the thwarted robbery attempt of a Baltimore high school student who was on his way to pick up his graduation cap and gown.

Kyree Greene, 18, of Frances Street, was taken into custody last Thursday after leading officers on a foot chase in West Baltimore, ditching a handgun and giving investigators a bogus name, according to Baltimore Police. He is being held without bond at Central Booking on a list of felony charges.

Greene made headlines last month when investigators identified him as the suspect who brazenly tried to rob a 17-year-old student at Frederick Douglass High School. The incident, which happened about 12:30 p.m. on June 3, was captured on surveillance video. Police said the victim was able to fend off the suspect and, as they wrestled over the gun, the suspect shot himself.

RELATED: Police ID Suspect Wanted in Douglass HS Armed Robbery Attempt

“During this struggle, with the suspect’s gun, the suspect fired the gun and struck himself. So this appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound that the suspect caused on his own, and the suspect fled the scene,” Baltimore Police spokesperson T.J. Smith said previously.

Afterward, the high school went into lockdown. School police officers secured the gun after meeting with the victim, who they said had the suspect’s blood on him, but otherwise was not hurt.

Greene had also been wanted for a previous shooting back in May, in which a 16-year-old was shot in the thigh, police said. The victim in that case told police he had just gotten out of school at Forest Park High and was walking with friends along the 4100 block of Eldorado Avenue when a masked gunman confronted them and opened fire. The victim then ran home and later recovered from his injuries at the hospital.

Last Thursday, investigators spotted a man who they suspected was armed in the 1700 block of Gwynns Falls Parkway. The suspect, who ran off before even being approached by police, was captured after tossing a handgun into a vacant yard, according to police. He initially identified himself as Tavon Jackson, but was later determined to be Greene.

Greene is charged with attempted first-degree murder, attempted second-degree murder, use of a firearm in the commission of a violent felony, reckless endangerment and other offenses in connection to the May shooting.

He’s also charged with armed robbery, first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and other charges related to the Douglass High incident. Plus he faces a list of gun charges in connection to the day of his arrest.


Leave a Reply