BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A deputy shot in the line of duty gets a hero’s homecoming, as he defies expectations and walks out of the hospital on Monday, not even three weeks after his near-fatal encounter on the job.

Deputy Warren Scott Hogan stood up and walked out of Shock Trauma, determined he would not be in a wheelchair.

“Very very happy to report that Deputy First Class Scott Hogan has been discharged from Shock Trauma and is currently on his way home as I type this!” Sheriff Gary Hofmann wrote on the department’s Facebook page Monday morning.

There was a fundraiser for the deputy as he faces mounting medical bills to be held Monday night. Little did organizers know, this day would also coincide with Deputy Hogan’s release from the hospital.

Deputy Hogan declined being transported in the ambulance sent for him, just so that he could ride home with his wife.

As the motorcade lead the way, well-wishers lined the streets.

“It was very good to see. A lot of us were surprised that he did insist on walking out,” says Lt. Dale Patrick, with Queen Anne’s County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputy Hogan has protected and served in Queen Anne’s County for 4 years. He was on a call on December 29 when his life changed forever.

Deputy Hogan was escorting a woman who’d just filed a domestic violence report back to her home, so that she could safely pick up some items. It was during those moments that officials say the woman’s boyfriend shot the deputy in his torso, right at the spot where there was no coverage from his vest.

Deputy Hogan was able to return fire. The suspect died at an area hospital.
Monday, on the same day he was released from the hospital, his brothers and sisters in blue packed the house at a Queen Anne’s restaurant for a fundraiser; a celebration with a cause to help pay the medical bills for Deputy Scott Hogan.

“Hopefully all this money, all these proceeds from the community come together to just help them with any bills, unnecessary bills they have to deal with, so she can get back to work knowing he’s safe, he’s out of the water,” says Deputy Bradley Martz, with Queen Anne’s County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputy Hogan wasn’t able to come out for the event, and is now at home resting. He’s expected to have more surgery down the road.

The FOP is also organizing future fundraisers.

A GoFundMe page has been set up by the Queen Anne’s County Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #108 to help with Hogan’s medical expenses.

Follow @CBSBaltimore on Twitter and like WJZ-TV | CBS Baltimore on Facebook

Ava-joye Burnett