BALTIMORE (WJZ) — One injured firefighter remains hospitalized as well as an injured resident after a gas explosion and fire at a Baltimore apartment complex.
According to the city fire department, six out of the seven firefighters injured were released.
“We’re thankful we’re able to talk about the release of six firefighters from hospitals instead of preparing them for a possible funeral,” said Chief Roman Clark with Baltimore Fire.
Syreeta Lewis, whose mother escaped, fought back tears Thursday.
“It’s been hard, but she’s ok. She came through without a scratch,” Lewis said.
It was Wednesday afternoon, when firefighters were called to the scene of a apartment fire in Bowleys Quarter. As they entered the building to begin containing the fire, an explosion occurred and two firefighters fell through the floor — five others were also injured.
“If we had to do this all over again, we would do it the same. There were no signs an explosion would take place,” Chief Clark said.
Six firefighters were taken Bayview Burn Center. One was taken to Shock Trauma.
BGE said Wednesday that at this time there is no indication as to the specific cause of the fire. It took ten hours for BGE to shut off the gas main to the building.
The gas was turned off at 1 a.m. Thursday.
At least two local residents were also injured and taken to local hospitals, a third resident was also injured but details of their treatment is not known.
Nene Berman said she was in the rental office when the fire started in a utility closet under the stairs on the lower floor.
She described a woman jumping from the third floor. That 53-year-old victim remains hospitalized in critical condition.
“She just jumped right out,” Berman said.
“It was so horrendous,” said Gabriel Shank, another witness. “It was a boom. We all fell back,”
Shank said he did not smell gas in the area leading up to the explosion.
“It’s a big concern. There could have been another explosion,” Shank said.
The ATF and Baltimore City Police are assisting in the investigation.
The apartment building on Bowleys Lane has been condemned, and several families are left homeless.
“One firefighter blew right out the window on the ground floor. My heart goes out to the injured,” Shank said.