SANTO DOMINGO, DR (WJZ) — A Prince George’s County couple found dead in their room at a resort in the Dominican Republic died due to respiratory failure, the country’s national police said Sunday.

Dominican Today reports that the Edward Nathael Holmes, 63, and Cynthia Day, 49, were found at the Bahia Principle Hotel at the resort of Playa Nueva Romana on the southeast coast.

Maryland Couple Found Dead In Room At Dominican Republic Resort

An autopsy performed on the couple showed both had respiratory failure and pulmonary edema, police said.

Police found several bottles of high blood pressure medications inside their room.

“The evidence in the room shows that they might have died from high blood pressure from the heart. We found a lot of medicine used to treat that illness and according to the medical history the family provided, both of them had high blood pressure,”

Reports say that there is no evidence of violence in relation to their death.

On Tuesday Holmes shared photos from their trip, “Boat ride of a lifetime!!!”

Delaware Woman Says She Was Beaten, Left For Dead At Dominican Republic Resort

Last week a woman from Delaware reported she was beaten and left for dead at another Dominican Republic resort.

“When I came to it was to him beating me about the head, kicking me and beating me,” The woman said.

The State Department has issued a travel advisory for the Dominican Republic cautioning travelers to exercise caution.

“The wide availability of weapons, the use, and trace of illicit drugs and a weak criminal justice system contribute to the high level of criminality,” The department said.

Comments (67)
  1. People with hypertension don’t suddenly die of pulmonary edema. There is a cover up here.

  2. Jim Quimby says:

    Something not right here.

  3. Francina Benjamin says:

    I don’t believe it nor am I buying it. I pray someone look deeper into this!

  4. Valerie Ross says:

    If they both died non-trauma deaths at the same time with the same cause, it was some kind of overdose. Heroin is notorious for causing pulmonary edema death.