BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Hundreds gathered at Mount Zion Apostolic Faith Church Tuesday morning to say goodbye to 4-year-old Malachi Lawson.

Malachi was found dead in a dumpster with signs of physical injury on August 3. His mother and her partner were charged in connection with the case.

The program at Malachi’s funeral was a laminated comic book.

“Remembering our superhero Malachi Lawson,” it said on the program cover. “Superpowers activated 9/27/14, last used 8/3/19”

A thought bubble says, “Hey I’m Okay”

Members of the family were also joined by friends and neighbors at Tuesday’s service. Some who didn’t know Malachi also came to pay their respects.

“He can’t speak for himself, but I’m here on his behalf, and prayerfully that this never happens to another young child in Baltimore City,” Rev. Andre Humphrey said.

“I came to pray for the family,” Stewart Nash said.

Malachi was originally reported missing by his mother, Alicia Lawson, 25, a few days prior. She told police Malachi disappeared from his grandmother’s home in the 4500 block of Rogers Avenue in northwest Baltimore.

Alicia Lawson and her partner, Shakita Lawson, 40, were arrested and charged with neglect that resulted in the death of a minor, first-degree child abuse, reckless endangerment, tampering with evidence and related charges.

Related Coverage

Maryland State Police brought in a K9 Unit to assist in the search, but Alicia Lawson’s confession brought the search to a close.

“She subsequently gave police the location of the child’s remains which was the 5500 block of Hadden Avenue,” Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison said.

The women said they were giving Malachi a bath on July 23 after he soiled himself, according to the documents. While they were washing his clothes in the sink, they allegedly turned around to find the boy had serious burns from his waist down to his feet. The burns were so bad, Malachi’s skin was allegedly floating in the bathwater when they pulled him from the tub, according to the charging documents.

But police tested the water temperature at the Lawsons’ home in the 1800 block of North Spring Street Saturday and the temperature never got above lukewarm.

The couple’s bond was denied during a bail review hearing. The judge determined they were both flight risks.

Comments (4)

Leave a Reply