ZEBULON, N.C. (CBS Local) — A North Carolina woman who was on oxygen died Tuesday after the cigarette she was smoking blew up her nearby oxygen tank, authorities said.
Emergency crews were called to a home in Zebulon, according to a release from the Nash County Sheriff’s Office.READ MORE: M&T Bank Stadium Opens As COVID-19 Mass Vaccination Site Thursday
Belinda Coble, 61, had medical issues that required her to be on oxygen, CBS affiliate WNCN reported.
A woman who was on oxygen died after officials say the cigarette she was smoking blew up her nearby oxygen tank in Nash County. https://t.co/IUDidxhnlh
— WBTV News (@WBTV_News) December 4, 2019READ MORE: Montgomery County Public Schools Adding Over 300 Electric Buses; Aim To Be All-Electric By 2025
Investigators said her cigarette ignited the oxygen tank, causing a small explosion and fire.
Coble’s husband was asleep in another room in the home. The explosion and sound of the smoke alarm woke him up, the release said.MORE NEWS: Southwest Airlines Adding Flights From BWI Airport To Destin-Fort Walton Beach, Florida
He managed to put out the fire, which caused minimal property damage, and called 911 emergency dispatch.