ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ) — Officials shut down the area around the state government buildings in Annapolis Tuesday afternoon due to a “major gas leak.”
A state spokesperson said a contractor working on the nearby Lawyers Mall project smelled gas after removing an old steam line. That prompted an evacuation of several buildings, including the State House.READ MORE: Syringe Stabber, Thomas Stemen, Enters Plea Deal For Feb. 2020 Grocery Store Attack
However, BGE said a construction worker, not a BGE employee or contractor, was working on underground steam lines in Annapolis near several state buildings when a gas odor was detected in the area.
The areas affected included Bladen Street, College Avenue and Rowe Boulevard.READ MORE: COVID-19 In Maryland: Hospitalizations & Positivity Rate Decline Saturday
The fire department and BGE were contacted and out of an abundance of caution the fire department evacuated the buildings. BGE crews inspected inside all of those buildings and didn’t detect gas odors in any of the buildings.
BGE said there was a slight gas odor outside in the surrounding areas.
Maryland Department of General Services said later Tuesday evening that BGE found a four-inch underground gas main that was struck and isolated the leak at around 3:30 p.m.MORE NEWS: ‘I’m Terrified’ At Least 20 People Shot This Week In Baltimore; Police Identify Victim of Deadly Mass Shooting
No injuries were reported.