ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ) — Headed to the beach Friday? Pack your patience.
Miles-long delays are reported along U.S. 50 eastbound Friday before the Bay Bridge. As of 5 p.m., traffic is backed up about 3.5 miles, officials said.READ MORE: Star Spangled Celebration: Fourth Of July Fireworks Light Up Baltimore's Skyline Once Again
two-way traffic is now in effect, the Maryland Department of Transportation said. Officials are urging travelers to leave early or stay late throughout the weekend to ease congestion.READ MORE: Bacteria Levels Prompt Recreational Water Advisory At Cox's Point Park
The Maryland Department of Transportation estimates that the best time to head to the beach on Saturday is before 8 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
On Sunday, the best time for travel is before 11 a.m. and after 9 p.m., the state agency said in a social media post.
MORE NEWS: Mother Of Abandoned Newborn Receives 18-Month Sentence
EB US 50 delays have ended prior to Bay Bridge. Tomorrow’s best drive time is before 8 a.m. and after 4 p.m. and Sunday is before 11 a.m. and after 9 p.m. Thanks for your commitment to safe driving practices. 1-877-BAYSPAN (229-7726) #MDShorebound
— MDTA (@TheMDTA) May 27, 2022
The MDTA offers the following travel tips for this holiday weekend and throughout the summer months:
- Travel off-peak when heading to and from the Eastern Shore.
- The best times to travel the Bay Bridge this weekend include:
- Thursday, May 26 – before 10 a.m. and after 9 p.m.
- Friday, May 27 – before 8 a.m. and after 9 p.m.
- Saturday, May 28 – before 8 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
- Sunday, May 29 – before 11 a.m. and after 9 p.m.
- Memorial Day Monday, May 30 – before 9 a.m. and after 11 p.m.\
- To sign up for email/text alerts or view real-time traffic camera images on MDTA roadways, visit mdta.maryland.gov.
- Call 1-877-BAYSPAN (229-7726) for 24/7 Bay Bridge traffic conditions or visit baybridge.com to view traffic cameras.