2 Dead Of Apparent CO Poisoning In Baltimore
BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A 5-year-old is one of three people fighting to survive exposure to carbon monoxide. By the time firefighters arrived at an East Baltimore apartment, two people were already dead.
Mike Schuh spoke with people who knew the victims.
Uncontrollable grief spilled onto the Guilford Avenue sidewalks after firefighters found five people in the same rowhouse apartment Tuesday morning unconscious from carbon monoxide poisoning. Two were dead on arrival and three others, including a 5-year-old, were rushed to Shock Trauma.
“I’m feeling really down, like I wanna cry, but I gotta be strong for the family,” said family friend Pat Williams.
Family members say all the victims are related.
“We believe it’s two females that [are] deceased. There were two adult males transported to Shock Trauma and one pediatric,” said Baltimore City Fire Department Captain Roman Clark.
At this point, investigators have not found the source of the gas, but say they respond to the most carbon monoxide cases during the cold winter months, usually related to faulty gas heaters.
“They don’t know what the cause is. Right now, every time we go to someone, we have to wait before they tell us anything,” said family member Mary Massey.
Massey says not knowing is almost unbearable.
Hazmat crews recorded the carbon monoxide levels inside between 300 and 500 parts per million, way more than 10 times the recommended safe level of 35 PPM.
Maryland property records list the Barclay Greenmount NSA Incorporated as owning the building. A company worker says they have no comment.
On Dec. 13, two men in Pikesville died of carbon monoxide poisoning and 11 others were treated.
As the investigation continues, loved ones console each other, hoping the three survivors will recover.
Investigators also checked carbon monoxide levels surrounding houses, but it appears none of them was affected.