Mega Millions Mania Hits Maryland

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — How would you like to start the new year with $237 million in your pocket?   That’s how much is in the Mega Millions jackpot.

Ron Matz reports Mega Millions mania is all over Maryland.

The crowds are growing at Cross Street Market.  There are 237 million reasons why. That’s how much is up for grabs in the Mega Millions jackpot.

“I bought four tickets. If I won I would help out the family and put some money away in the bank and spread it around a little bit. Try to help everybody I could,” said Jack Hooper from South Baltimore.

The billboard at Meadow Mill is spreading the word.

“[It’s] a lot of money.  I have a mom, two sisters, a brother and I’m married, so it would come in handy,” said Thad Dyson of East Baltimore.

The last winner was Nov. 9. The jackpot has rolled over 14 times.

For ticket agents, the big jackpot means big business.

“It’s been pretty steady. The higher it goes, you’ll get more and more play. A lot of people won’t touch it unless it’s $100 million.  Now that it is over $200 million, you’ll have everybody,” said Henry Reisinger, lottery ticket agent at Fenwick Meats in Cross Street Market.  “It’s good for the business.  More activity inside the building, more people coming out.  I have a good location here. They’re buying tickets. It’s all good, so we’ll see what happens.”

The odds of winning the jackpot are one out of 176 million. The next drawing is Friday.

More from Ron Matz

1. Hazmat says:

The article fails to mention when the next drawing will take place. Mentioning how many lottery retailers are in Maryland, or how many states take part in the Mega Millions drawings would make the article more interesting.

2. Dave says:

There are roughly 310 million people in the US – why not cancel the lottery for a few week and give EVERYONE $1,000,000? Recession solved, unemplyment solved, housing given a BIG Boost, homelessness eliminated……

3. Kim says:

I totally agree with Dave! I say give it to the people and spread the wealth!

4. Jan says:

In order for that to work, you would need 3 quintillion dollars to give out. That is $3,000,000,000,000,000,000. That would take more than a few weeks. Good thought though. Spread the wealth…please!!

5. Jen says:

Yes Dave!!!! I agree!

6. Angela Smith says:

As an edit, how about give every person that is here LEGALLY a cut of the lottery…that should knock it down quite a bit.

7. heather says:

Legal or illegal everyone can benefit from that. If they gave it to the illegals then maybe they will use it to become legal since it takes about 20,000 just to become legal.