2 Incendiary Packages Cause Security Scare Across Md.

HANOVER, Md. (WJZ) –It was a tense afternoon across the region after two packages—one addressed to Gov. Martin O’Malley—ignited inside two state buildings.They showed up just 20 miles apart–one in Hanover, the other in Annapolis, just a few feet from the State House.

Kelly McPherson has more information about the note found in one of those packages.

The two packages were addressed to Governor O’Malley and the state transportation secretary. Now there’s an investigation into who may have sent these packages.

In Annapolis around 12:30 p.m. Thursday, a package addressed to Governor O’Malley ignited after an employee opened it.

“There was an initial flash of fire and smoke and a smell that emanated from that reaction,” said Greg Shipley, Maryland State Police spokesperson.

Fifteen minutes later and 20 miles away at the Maryland Department of Transportation, a similar package addressed to the Transportation Secretary was opened by an employee on the fourth floor, producing the same reaction.

“Only thing I heard was when the emergency alarm went off, and that was it,” said Mary Queen, MDOT employee.

“People started running, alarms were pulled. The building was very quickly cleared with a lot of people running out not grabbing purses and cell phones,” said Sharon Lewis, MDOT employee.

The packages– about the size of a small book– produced a smell like lighting a match. They were ignited with a zipper feature inside. They singed the employees’ fingers, but no one was seriously injured.

In Hanover, 250 people evacuated the building and waiting in airport transportation vehicles.

“It was kind of peaceful still because everybody knows the procedures here and everyone didn’t know exactly what was going on,” said a state employee.

Investigators are linking the two deliveries. Mailrooms across the state are still on guard though no other incendiary devices were found.

“This is not to be compared with a significant explosion that you think of when you say that word. I want to stress that,” Shipley said. “There was no property damage, and there was obviously no serious physical harm inflected on these employees.”

The governor’s office says that those two employees who handled the packages are doing OK.

Miike Hellgren takes a closer look at the investigation, including the possible motive.

This was in all likelihood an angry person who had a grudge against Maryland. The governor confirmed that it was someone who was upset about road signs and wanted to get the governor’s attention as well as that of top transportation officials.

Sources say the person who sent two incendiary packages was angry over electronic road signs, asking people to report suspicious activity.

A note inside one of the packages read: “Report suspicious activity . . . total bull**** . . . you have created a self-fulfilling prophecy. Signed, X.”

“In my opinion, this is a lone-wolf situation” said Congressman Dutch Ruppersberger. “Lone wolf meaning an individual with whatever reason has a problem with the state of Maryland.”

Inside was a match and battery rigged to light up when the package was opened.

“There was no fire; there was no explosion; there was no white powder,” said State Fire Marshal William Barnard.

Police do not believe the packages or the written message is linked to any terror group. But they do believe they are linked to each other. The same person sent packages to the governor and MDOT headquarters.

Because the packages didn’t destroy themselves, there’s still plenty of physical evidence.

“Terrorism really is not about winning the war, it’s about winning the battle, disruption,” Ruppersberger said. “So there was some disruption here. But we have to make sure that this was not a conspiracy and that hopefully it was a lone wolf, and we will be able to find this person and bring him to justice.”

These packages are currently at the FBI lab in Quantico, Va., where they are being analyzed.

Kai Jackson explains how Thursday’s incident set off a heightened state of alert across the region, including Baltimore City.

Maryland state offices were already on high alert when a third suspicious package was found at the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene at 201 West Preston Street in Baltimore—and then a fourth package at the Mitchell Courthouse on Calvert Street.

“The bomb squad is going to investigate the packages to determine what it really is,” said Anthony Guglielmi, Baltimore City Police spokesperson.

After two incendiary devices ignited in those two state buildings in Anne Arundel County, authorities in Baltimore decided to evacuate state employees on West Preston Street—a move that snarled rush-hour traffic in the area.

Authorities later determined that neither the third or fourth package was a threat.

“We tested the device and it turned out to be a delivery of laptop batteries which happens in offices across America multiple times a day,” Guglielmi said.

The package found at Mitchell Courthouse turned out to be a box of toner cartridges.

1. Mary says:

I don’t see what the problem with the road signs is… I think it is important to remind and encourage people to report things that are ‘off’. It might just save a life!

1. FreedomForAll says:

Mary, would you feel the same if you knew that Nazi Germany also asked their citizens to report on their neighbors? Do you really think a fascist state is the right direction for this country? Wake up!

2. Gina says:

I bet you are falling for the wal-mart telescreens also. We don’t need a daily reminder to report criminal activity. We know how to police ourselves. We live a Nanny/police state. Wake up people!!!

3. Marbran says:

These road signs do nothing but cause traffic delays, as many motorists feel compelled to slow down to read them. There is one on the DC beltway, inner loop, just before US 50, that consistently creates a back-up all the way to the 95/495 merge – about 5 miles. Bumper to bumper traffic for a useless message, and all because people are too stupid to read three lines before they pass under the sign. GET RID OF THE SIGNS!!!

4. TerryG says:

Mary, You are a sick, uneducated fool. Run off now and play with Hitler.

1. Susan See says:

It’s against the law to threaten any one TerryG, even on a board, so watch it.

2. Fred Marks says:

Susan … TerryG did not threaten anyone. Go back and read the comment. However, you did say “Watch it,” which sounds like a under-the-radar threat to me.

I will say that Mary is not sick. Just naive and doesn’t suspect the government or people of having ulterior motives. She might read the comments and see the possibilities, though.

5. Darin says:

Pay for a radio ad – Don’t make people read sentences while they drive. They have enough to do with the cell phone, radio, texting, makeup and eating french fries. People slow by at least 15mph wherever these useless signs are.

6. Aunt Bee says:

“Hell is paved with good Samaritans.”
      – William M. Holden

2. April says:

America is going down hill fast. Wake up America and start caring about the country we have worked so hard to build. All we need is get back our values and dedication.

3. TJN72 says:

Wake me up when they hit the state house

4. Henry Thoreau says:

I can’t say I’m concerned for Marxistland. Maybe they need more camera’s on every street so this doesn’t happen. Or higher taxes. Or mandatory rent increases. Or the Right to Not Keep and bear arms.

So many reasons why I don’t care. You broke it. You bought it.

1. Thomas Jefferson says:

Maybe they should put cameras in everyone’s house? That way they’ll be sure to catch all “suspicious activity”…

1. Bee says:

Nah, telescreens are more effective.

2. Gary P says:

You’d be surprised how much they can get from your cell phone even when it’s turned off. We soon may have TVs that watch you even when they’re turned off. Do some research on the web and you’ll be surprised at what some of the new technology contains. It’s Orwellian and personally I never thought it could ever happen here.

5. Gabe Asher says:

Finally, someone is standing up against the dragnet against US citizens.

1. ElinAnn says:

They are just subliminally communicating with their Gangstalking Crews. Like they need reminding. Like the bounties aren’t enough encouragement for them.

6. Donttyanize says:

Fizzel flash-band packages? Maybe a good set of lead overshoes would be a better fit.

7. Steve Saulka says:

Right on, Gabe Asher. That’s the drill in Obamastan.

8. Huckleberry Schmuckleberry says:

I need to report suspicious activity at the White House… it seems an illegal alien has taken up residency and is impersonating a President.

9. Rico Suave says:

10. Ron says:

Let’s get the TSA in here and have a pat-down search at every mailbox.

11. thoughtcriminal says:

What a bunch of tools.

12. Bobo says:

There are plenty of suspicious activities in the government! Report them at once! Round them up! Arrest them, interrogate them, waterboard them if necessary, and detain them indefinitely until we determine them to be not involved in suspicious activities in any way. The investigation would take a long time!

Remember, God does not like snitches, brainwashed slaves and zealous fascist liberals.

13. d says:

I think its a Bomb! Peter Sellers in The Pink Panther

1. e says:

wouldn’t that be “Bom-buh” not “Bomb”?

14. JWC says:

Come to NC and see our tax money at work. We have the billboard electronic signs that are always OFF or showing “Testing” but have the smaller mobile signs right next to them flashing worthless info such as “Testing” or “Dial 511 for Traffic Info”. Even the ones that work only show “Testing” or “Dial 511 for Traffic Info” . The gov’t contantly incourages not to use cell phones while driving, even made it illegal to do so but in the same turn ask us to dial 511 for info. Gov’t waste and stupidity.

15. emmajeri1010 says:

I suppose Mary votes, too. That’s what they’re counting on It’s a long one, but if you were to read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by Shirer, you would have frighteningly detailed confirmation of FreedomForAll’s statement, “Mary, would you feel the same if you knew that Nazi Germany also asked their citizens to report on their neighbors?” Nazi German did not “happen” in a year or two: it was about 14 years from ideclared ntention to full implementation.

1. Susan See says:

I suppose it’s too much to ask for you to express your opinion in a calm, rational, intelligent manner rather just just ranting and attacking someone else for their opinion.

1. CitizenSane says:

Susan, what are you reacting to? I can’t see any “ranting” or “attacking” in emmajeri1010’s comment. The comment, in fact, seems entirely calm, rational and intelligent. Mentioning Nazi Germany in a sentence is not hysterical or abusive. Engage in the debate – but may I suggest that you don’t try to stifle opinions by name-calling.

2. HMichaelH says:

Citizensane says it well. Susan See needs to look inward to discover why she reacts to stimulus that isn’t there. She has consistently reacted incorrectly to comments posted here. I’m glad others see her flaw. I hope she will see it, also.

16. ragu4u says:

I hate to brag but I called this one only seconds after hearing the complete details. This was rookie stuff from the get go.

17. Sailordude says:

As far as the message goes, two sides of every coin. They should say watch the Middle Easterners, but seriously, as far as the package is concerned, there is no return address, THAT’S A BIG RED FLAG PEOPLE!!!!

Don’t open things with no return addresses on them, especially if you are with the government!

1. Opinionated Jerk says:

And please tell me Sailordude, what forces someone to us an accurate and real return address? There is but one side to a Mobius strip. ID 10 t error detected.

1. Large Package says:

Sailordude said there was no return address on the package. There are numerous signs that people in shipping departments should be trained to recognize that could signify a potentially suspicious package. No return address is one of them. Other things to look for are excessive postage, misspelled names, stained or leaking packages etc. So it looks like the ID10T error detected was actually you and your Mobius strip. ASS CLOWN.

2. Zaareconter says:

Mobius Strip… Yes definitely an ass clown🙂

Well he did warn us that he was an opinionated jerk.
        He may work in the Q-section of
        FEMA’s basement.

18. geniusiq160 says:

Wow! There are a lot of posters here who show great motive in protesting the signs. That is alarming. I will be taking screen shots of your posts and sending them to the authorities, because at least one of you probably did it.

Also, I find the signs to be useful. I have already reported one person I suspected. We have to stay aware and report crime, just as I am reporting you people advocating violence.

1. Thomas Jefferson says:

I can’t tell if you’re being facetious or serious???!!! I am a critic of the “report suspicious activity” signs. Would you like my name an address? It is: Thomas Jefferson, 16 Pennsylvania Ave. Washington, District of Columbia.

1. geniusiq160 says:

Yes, I am serious, and, yes, I have taken a screenshot of your post. I’ll include your address, but I have to say that you’re pretty stupid to post your home address in the comments section. I know your name is probably fake, though.

Get a life.

2. DannnyJ119 says:

Me thinks Genius IQ 160 is a misnomer. He can’t even recall who lives at 1600 Pennsylvania..

2. Opinionated Jerk says:

Hey Genius, you really thing that is his home address? I think you mistakenly added a 1 before the other two real digits in your IQ. That is the address of the Capitol. I don’t care one way or the other about the signs. What the sender did is a crime. BTW – Thomas Jefferson is probably not his real name either…

1. Russ1449 says:

OJ,I think 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. is the White House.

3. Doug says:

America needs more snitches… you’re lightning bolt pins are in the mail.

4. HamboneHaveYouHeard says:

geniusiq160 is a brownshirt. I will be reporting him for a medal of commendation. Good job, boy!

19. James says:

So a man is protesting the war on terrorism, with terrorism?

1. geniusiq160 says:

Exactly! The only explanation is that he supports our enemies or is mentally unstable OR BOTH.

20. Jim says:

We have these signs in the Commonwealth of Mass, too. Occasionally the message is useful, but more often than not they say things like “Caution: Wet Conditions” when it’s raining or “Dial 511 for Traffic Information.” The first message invokes a response like, “Thank you, detective.” The latter message caused annoying traffic delays when it first started appearing, presumably because at first glance, it appeared to be describing an emergency.

Are they annoying and useless signs? Usually, in my opinion. Is it worth getting angry about? Nah. The bureaucrats will continue nonsensical spending regardless of my emotional state.

1. geniusiq160 says:

You forget that these signs can say whether it is an orange alert or if there there is an amber alert and a child has been kidnapped, so they are pretty useful overall. I just don’t get people like you.

1. Sad American says:

Do your research before you start talking on here cuz the gorvernment has been breaking constitutional laws everyday while Pelosi was speaker of the house. The democrats waste money, plain and simple.

2. Peoplelikeme says:

when the revolution comes you’ll be first against the wall.

21. plain_truth says:

As now, World Wars I and II were instigated by Wall Street and the German banking elite. Let the streets of Maryland flow with blood.

1. geniusiq160 says:

I’ve taken a screenshot of your comment and will be forwarding it to authorities. Have a nice day.

22. Danny L. Newton says:

The care takers of the transportation system are aware of the problem of congestion but have no intention of fixing it. In my state, the rate of population growth doubles about every 66 years while the length of lane-miles is doubling every 360 years. If lane-miles do not grow then the average distance between cars and trucks declines and so does the safe speed limit. I expect these signs to some day be converted to variable speed limit signs to slow traffic down before the parking lot phenomenon presents itself. The Europeans already have a similar system.

23. RedHawk says:

We must all support these actions if we are to ever take back our country and win our freedom. Thomas Jefferson said that the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Now others must step up and begin a campaign agaist tyrannical governments, local, state, and federal.

24. maddog says:

The comments are always far more interesting than the articles.

25. thinkbot says:

I could care less about those road signs. However, I encourage everyone to stick a big old middle finger out the window when they see those money-grubbing scam-artist speed cameras on 695. What an unbelievable fleecing!

26. geniusiq161 says:

The person who most likely did it is geniusiq160. Note: I have already taken a screenshot of this comment and forwarded it to the authorities!

27. notfunnycitizen says:

I too am going to take a screenshot of geniusiq.160 comments and send them to authorities… He does not “THINK” like most of the people that left comments here… That is reason enough…

28. TheVegasPatriot says:

Wow…I moved out of the Socialist Republik of Maryland years ago because of the liberal commies in the State Office. Based on most of the comments posted, there is hope for the State of Maryland.

29. robertg says:

There are plenty of reason to be upset with Governor O’Malley and how he is destroying the MD economy but road signs is not one of them.

30. Grimriffer says:

FBI…where they cook the bomb, train the driver, etc, etc…

31. Beer:30 says:

If the signs said anything useful then they might actually be worth the electricity it takes to run them.

32. Nom-nom-nom says:

My wife says I have an explosive package

1. Peoplelikeme says:

You win the internet.

2. TheVegasPatriot says:

Ha ha ha ha…too funny!

33. Lukuj says:

I’m shocked that the Tea Parties, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and Bush weren’t blamed. I’m sure there are many people disappointed they can’t blame them.

34. DEF says:

Truth be known….This is probably a plot by the radical left to create a situation for more rights to be dissolved and a greater crackdown against individual freedoms to be enforced!!! Are they sending these packages to themselves? Is this another of their strategic moves in their plot to handcuff everyone in America to their theology/agenda?

35. InTheBubble says:

The only terrorism I’ve seen has come from our own Administration in DC . . . nothing but false flags and onerous new laws and agencies in response to each phony “act of terror,” from 9/11 to present. This is the oldest trick in the book of the fascists and commies. I commiserate completely with the letter “bomb” guy’s anger, but not his methods. Not nice. As for GeniusIQ, I hacked him and found that he’s an 11 yr old from Jersey.

36. I95 says:

Shut up and drive.

37. Kevin says:

Most sheeple love the nanny-state. It is true….

38. Peoplelikeme says:

This is a microcosm of what is happening across America…people are polarized and beginning to be inclined to violence. We all see the downward spiral of civilization…and in truth I don’t think any one group is to blame. Events happen in waves, peaks and troughs of chaos and order–just look at the ocean, or quantum physics, and you can see that the fundamental pattern of reality is oscillation between two extremes, whether it be good and evil, hot and cold, or whatever. We are headed towards a peak of chaos, and as history has shown, this can mean a time of great strife–World Wars, Revolution, famine, the collapse of civilization itself (remember that place called Rome?) I don’t wish for it to happen but it may be inevitable. Find out what is worth holding onto and protect it!

1. Fred Marks says:

“There’s nothing new under the sun.”

What people forget is that our leaders wouldn’t be attracted to power if we did not hand it over to them. That’s why our founding fathers exhorted us to be vigilant over our liberties (“a republic, if you can keep it:). As institutions of power grow in size and scope, they attract a different kind of leader — narcissists drawn to power, not necessarily service. This was all debated in the Anti-Federalist Papers.

So, I’m not clear your position. Do we go with the flow (like the motion of the ocean) or do we hoard (as your last line suggests). The former is a product of our relativistic values, so prevalent today, and the latter is a product of our rampant “me-first” attitudes, again the mark of our era.

Remember the last line of the “Star Spangled Banner.” It ends in a question. A question. Oh, say does that star spangled banner yet wave, over the land of the free, and the home of the brave?” Remember that Francis Scott Key penned that while held hostage (wrong place at the wrong time) on a British ship outside Baltimore, while the Revolutionaries and the British were engaged in battle. He did not know the outcome until the smoke cleared and “the flag was still there.” But he still pondered over our fate.

Your post — relativistic or Me-ist — makes me ponder over our fate. Whether the children this nation has raised have the capacity to stand for anything.

1. Peoplelikeme says:

I didn’t want to suggest inaction, rather I wanted to point out that the “blame game” is hurtful rather than helpful. There are forces outside of our control at work but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to change things. By holding onto what’s important I meant family, friends, not necessarily material goods, which in the end mean nothing. Materialism and greed are both at the root of the crisis our world is experiencing. The question has been raised a couple of times in this forum, and I’ll ask it again–what is it we’re supposed to do to stop it? What can we do besides choosing for ourselves to take paths of selflessness? If something can really be done, I’m looking at a sad lack of viable suggestions.

Again, I don’t want to advocate inaction. I don’t think we should sit on our rump and watch the government take over our lives, nor do I think we should all go spilling into the street with torches and pitchforks. What I am saying is that destruction is a part of the natural order–as are humans, and the society we live in. The force of destruction exists, and manifests itself in many ways–as I said before, Revolution, War, etc…one person deciding to be non-violent (as in my case) does not prevent these forces from running rampant. I can try to persuade people not to become violent but that’s really all I can do. If you try to force things on people (i.e. facism) then you are doing evil. If you sit and do nothing that’s also evil.

So what do I suggest? Love the people around you. Help the people around you–make your world a better place, and maybe that will spread. Few individuals have the power to change the whole world, but we all have the power to change ourselves.

39. RD says:

Wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t find out who did it and it was formulated
    by Janet N. herself. What better ways to impose more laws, suspicions
    than having a incident. The timing is suspect with her danger speech
    on common household chemicals. These people in power are Fascists
    not to be trusted, and the suspicious behavior is in Washington.

1. Harry says:

or equipment requests to the high tech company that supplies the airport scanner, one of her major supporters.

40. Harry says:

And which high tech company is involved in manufacturing equipment that would ‘sniff’ mail? Is that company related to the airport scanner company?
    Watch for equipment requests from the post office now.

1. Peoplelikeme says:

Rather, watch for requests for funding which will end up God knows where while the post office sill operates with sub-par security.

41. Susan See says:

Do any of you people advocating violence and talking about Nazi’s have any clue what you are talking about in reality? Or do you just spend your time sitting in front of a computer pretending you know all about it. I have been in some of the countries that suffered during WWII. I was in Poland a couple of months ago. Are you under the illusion it has recovered; that the grandchildren of those who went to the camps have recovered? Have you felt the horror of standing in a prison that held Jews pulled off the street, their families never seeing them again? Have you stood in the barracks that held small, starving children? You all rant and rave and threaten and advocate violence to shut up people you disagree with. Just like the Nazis. You use street words like “snitch”. Where are the real people, the ones who are able to fight with intelligence and do something meaningful instead of undermining our sitting president and disrupting our government? You will live to regret thinking that deep rooted problems can be solved in a mere few years. Who just vote one party in and then one party out and then one party in. So ignorant. Not willing to do the work real Democracy takes. Just want to do what’s easy.

1. Fred Marks says:

Susan — What do you feel is the work that real Democracy takes? Tell us. What choices does the voter actually have in the polling booth? (By the way, I never spoke of violence, so you can drop that in your reply.)

2. Peoplelikeme says:

What is this real work you speak of?

3. InTheBubble says:

Get off your high horse, Susy. What makes you think you know all about it and the rest of us don’t? Because you spent a few hours inside the Dachau barracks? Plenty of us have done that, some more than once, not to mention visits to the Anne Frank House, the D-Day burial grounds, Oradour-sur-Glane, and so forth. We know precisely what happened in Europe back then, and all your ranting won’t make it otherwise. As for our rage against the machine, we are a very large country, and, like a huge pot of stew, we take a long time to come to a boil. The current administration has turned up the heat so far that we are now boiling over. The enemy is most certainly within now, Susy, and we either defeat it soon or forever suffer the fate of slavery to the communist ideal. If you think your “democratic” approach is going to bring you victory in that effort, you a very foolish girl. If we Americans can’t get our federation (NOT a “democracy”) cleaned up soon without violence, then we will have to take the next step. You might want to try Canada. You should be safe there.

42. frozenH2Oman says:

Amazing. All this mistrust of the government, the same government you fools are willing to trust with your healthcare.

43. Chris says:

Wow. Think about this. Read all of the comments. I think this is the first time that there is sympathy or understanding for a domestic terrorist action. That is a huge shift. For the first time the majority of the people while not necessarily supporting violence, they are understanding and even somewhat supportive. If anything, that should shake the govt brown shirts down to their knees. This is a first and I consider it a dire warning to our gov’t that they had better back off us armed American citizens for who knows what they will unleash upon themselves. After all our forefathers said it was not only our right but our duty to eliminate tyranny.

1. Fred Marks says:

Chris — see my note about Benjamin Roth’s diary. I highly recommend reading it.

44. Fred Marks says:

I have to share something fascinating. Last night I was reading the diary of Benjamin Roth, who kept a record of the changing times during the depression.

In one entry (1933) he said that people’s interest had turned from talking from cards and golf to politics. In the summer of 1933, his entries said that the newspapers were still white-washing Roosevelt’s policy experiments. But then by fall 1933, the people were outraged, and the newspapers had just started to capture that sentiment, questioning for the first time the merits of the policies. There’s far too much to discuss here that Roth put in that diary — the destructive policies that were ultimately overturned in court, because they were un-Constitutional, the waste (paying farmers to destroy hogs, dump milk, plow over wheat to impact market prices while people went hungry), and the violence (union strikers, farmers, etc.) because of runaway inflation. Roth said it was easier to get a dollar during the depression (when there was deflation) than it was during inflation. Now that’s saying something.

45. Peoplelikeme says:

I’d also like the point out that “The Government” is not a single entity, but a network of individuals, some of whom our corrupt, but some of whom have noble intentions. To demonize everyone working for the government is akin to something like racism and it’s wrong.

This is not meant to excuse the policies and behavior of many, many corrupt or misguided officials.

46. joshcomm says:

My personal opinion, I think we have a straw man scenario here, the targets picked out for an agenda to clamp down and deprive us of freedoms. I don’t like what I see.

47. When I came over to 2 Incendiary Packages Cause Security Scare Across Md. CBS Baltimore I can only look at part of it, is this my internet web browser or the internet website? Should I reboot? Cheers Victoria Manning