Md. Building Fire Caused By Smoking Materials

GAITHERSBURG, Md. (AP) — Authorities say a two-alarm fire at a Gaithersburg condominium building that displaced more than a dozen people was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.

Montgomery County fire department spokesman Capt. Oscar Garcia says firefighters were called to the fire in the 300-block of Palmspring Drive about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday. He says the fire began on the ground level of the 12-unit building and traveled upward, burning the roof off the building.

Garcia says the fire was accidental and was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.

Garcia says 18 people, including five children, were displaced.

He said one firefighter suffered a minor injury.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

One Comment

  1. Leahzc says:

    The inconsiderate smoker needs to not only pay for the damage to the building and his neighbors’ properties, he/she also needs to pay for the hotels where his displaced neighbors are staying while the damages are being repaired. Accident or not, he/she should have disposed of his cancer stick properly.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Baltimore

Track Weather On The Go With Our App!
Your Podcast Network Play.it

Listen Live