Rescue Crews Save Dog Trapped In Icy Reservoir

BALTIMORE COUNTY, Md. (WJZ)—A dramatic scene unfolded live right on WJZ-TV, as a dog struggles to survive after falling through thin ice.

Kai Jackson has the exclusive story on how firefighters came to the rescue.

That rescue unfolded on WJZ-TV on Thursday during the 6 p.m. news. Rescue crews were swift in the effort to rescue the trapped dog, but the work was very dangerous.

Sky Eye Chopper 13 was high above the Loch Raven Reservoir in Baltimore County. It’s hard to see, but a dog was stuck in the ice.

“The animal seemed to be doing remarkably well. I would estimate that it probably been in the water for a good 30 minutes,” said Simon Phillips, Baltimore watershed ranger.

Phillips says an owner let her dog off the leash while walking near the reservoir and the animal bolted.

“The dog probably got excited by something it saw,” Phillips said. “It took off, and the next thing she knew, the dog was running onto the reservoir and onto the ice.”

The city of Baltimore does allow recreational use of the reservoir, but this dog stuck in the ice is an example of how dangerous those bodies of water can be.

The Texas Station Advance Tactical Rescue team in Cockeysville is among an elite group that’s qualified to make such a daring and dangerous rescue.

“I have to assess the situation to determine whether it’s worth risking somebody for this animal,” said Captain Charles Tudor.

Rescue crews determined it was a low-risk operation. Specialist Joe Holland got the dog out.

The dogs limbs’ and movements were “quite good,” Holland said. “He actually drug me across the ice. I had to let go of his collar so he could go back to his owners.”

Capt. Mike Perry summed it up best.

“I love a happy ending,” he said.

Indeed, it was a happy ending. But watershed rangers remind pet owners that your animals should be kept on leashes around reservoirs.

Comments

1. SHIRLEY says:

THE RESCUED DOG….FOR ONCE THERE IS A HAPY ENDING ON THE NEWS

2. petfriend says:

Things like this can happen so fast and can cost the life of the pet and a rescuer. Please keep your dogs on leash or if you want them to go off leash find a safe dog park. Baltimore County needs a nice fenced dog park in this area, which I am sure will not make it into the already starined budget any time soon. There must be some wealthy dog lover out there who could donate the funding for this. What a great memorial it could be!

1. Antoinette Esposito says:

I COMPLETLY AND 100% AGRREE! Baltimore county definatly needs a dog park. they dont even have to make it all fancy…give some land fence it in and call it a day. i kno my beagle would be more then happy with that. let me get nice and wealthy one day…thats at the top of the list! lol.

3. kim brown says:

nice to hear a good happy animal story. thank you to the rescuers who risked your life.

4. Laurel says:

glad it was a good ending!

5. derrickman says:

Risking one’s life for an animal? How utterly stupid….The dog is saved but the person who has a family drowns. Yeah, that’s how it could have ended.

1. Joe Holland says:

There was very little risk. I am trained and equipped to make these types of rescues. All too often these turn into human rescues because untrained individuals try too save the animal. That’s why we went in after the dog.

1. Shadow says:

Thanks Joe – love that you were able to save this precious life. He was barking the whole time – letting you know to come get him ❤

2. brenda walsh says:

shut up.

1. derrickman says:

Brenda, You & your Nazi type PETA gang can …SMD!

3. Antoinette Esposito says:

but that didnt happen… so why not just be thankful that the dog and the people got out safe. animals think just like himans…you dont think he was freezing in that water? you wouldve just left him in there…watched him suffer and called it a day? people think too much of them selves. no wonder i like animals more then people. SMH!

4. Jen says:

Every life needs to be cherished no matter how big or small if there were less people inthe world like you it would be a better place. And also yeah so fido or chloe can’t make the beds or do the dishes but at the same time they cant shoot, stab or rape people either so what’s really the better species here

6. derrickman says:

Joe, That’s all well & good but how many bleeding heart PETA type people who are not trained wind up drowning. I’ll be a huge number.Stupid & silly. Call 911 & let them handle it dummies.

7. Shadow says:

Idiot – our pets are our family members – I too would have gone in to save my pet.

1. derrickman says:

Shadow, My you are cranial challenged. Average pet’s life expectancy: 10-14 yrs
      Average human’s life: 72 yrs. Do the math dummy. Does fido or chole make beds, do the wash, fix home projects, care for you when sick? F……K no, all they do is lick your face after licking their balls.

8. Herman Glimsher says:

THE OWNERS OF THE DOG SHOULD HAVE TO REIMBURSE THE COUNTY FOR ALL EXPENSES INCURRED FOR SAVING THEIR DOG………IF THE DOG HAD BEEN ON A LEASH OR PROPERLY SUPERVISED, IT WOULD’VE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO GET ITSELF INTO TROUBLE.
    I DON’T KNOW IF BALTIMORE COUNTY HAS A LEASH LAW, BUT DOWN HERE IN AA YOU’RE NOT SUPPOSED TO LET YOUR DOG RUN FREELY

9. GoooOoos says:

How’s it an exclusive story?

10. icare says:

Always keep dogs on a leash, you never know what may happen. Better safe than sorry. ||| http://www.AwarenessHelps.info

11. Donna Quante says:

Good job on the rescue. The owner should be cited for allowing the dog off leash. Allowing a dog to run in summer around water is one thing, in winter it could have been fatal. Just a stupid thing to do. The owner should pay for the rescue.

As for the remarks about PETA…you need to look at what PETA does—they don’t save animals. They only collect your hard earned money and pretend to be for animals. They are a rotten organization.

12. derrickman says:

The owners are probably irresponsible & only have an animal brcause it’s the Yuppie or Vogue thing to do. I mean like we have a trillion dogs in my condo development & all the hell they do is bark & poop. It’s not fair to the dog to cage them all day & they walk them to s….t on somebody’s lawn. These are big animals & shouldn’t be in the development for any reason other than seeing eye. It’s unfair to everyone especially the dogs.

13. A. says:

Derrick, is dummy the only word you know?? You would be surprised at how many dogs AND cats and probably other pets have alerted their owners to dangers. Fires, children in danger, home intruders. My 13 yr old cat, runs to my chlidren whenever either of them cry. Runs TO them, not from them. Just last week I was in the bathroom cleaning and couldn’t hear my 4 yr old who had fallen off her bike in the front yard. She was crying and cut her leg. My cat wouldn’t stop meowing OR trying to bite my leg until I walked out to see what the fuss was about. I couldn’t hear my daughter crying from all the way on the other side of the house. I hope do whatever I could to save my pet , aka family member, if something like that happened.

You are a prick. I hope you don’t own animals or have children of your own. What a heartless piece of work you are.

14. moleman says:

A, ….What does that stand for, a….hole? You sound like one.