Md. Sexual Assault Convict Released & Charged In Pa.

CUMBERLAND, Md. (WJZ) — The child was abducted from her bus stop, sexually assaulted and left to die. Thirty years later, the victim finds her attacker could go free.

Suzanne Collins reports on a new legal move to keep John Kroll behind bars.

Nine-year-old Charity Shankle got off her school bus in Allegany County in March 1980. Police say lurking in a car nearby was John Kroll, a man convicted of sexually assaulting other children.

“He kidnapped me, he abducted me from my home, my driveway. He sexually assaulted me,” said Shankle.

Kroll got life without parole. But a few years ago he appealed, saying the sex assault took place just over the border in Pennsylvania, not Maryland. The conviction was overturned.

Shankle, whose female organs were mutilated in the attack, says she will fight Kroll’s release for her adopted daughter.

“I need to protect my little girl,” Shankle said. “I need to protect those little girls out there.”

Now a Pennsylvania district attorney has come to the rescue. This week Kroll was released from a Maryland prison and sent right to a Pennsylvania jail. He faces charges of assault, false imprisonment and more.

On the phone, the prosecutor says it should work.

“Essentially with the charges we have against him, if successful, there’s no question Mr. Kroll will never see the light of day again,” said Bill Higgins, Bedford County DA.

Even though the lead investigator is dead and another detective retired in Florida, there is some physical evidence like the broomstick used in the attack. The prosecutor says Shankle’s memory of her attack so long ago is as vivid as ever, and a jury will listen.

Kroll may claim the statute of limitations has passed in Pennsylvania, but the prosecutor believes he can win that argument.

Comments

1. Jean says:

I’m with Bill Higgins, let him die behind bars. A sharpened broomstick! Tit for tat!

1. Martin Fornwalt says:

I can’t believe that someone like this sick person should have been put to death. She didn’t die, but he tried. Rot in hell is what I think.

2. dh says:

He should be 6 ft. under the jail, not in it.

3. griffv says:

Maybe someone should use a sharpened broomstick on him!!!!!!

4. Terri Sevison says:

They should have killed him 30 years ago. Solitary confinemet is too good for him.

5. josye says:

I say, throw him in a cage w/ a Lion:)

6. hermanthegerman says:

Give him a sex change & let the inmates have a go at him. Better yet, let them bung hole him day & night as is.

7. urnotfunny says:

This POS should be dead for what he did to that innocent child/now woman. He shouldn’t be able to breathe the same air that she breathes. There is no hope for a piece of garbage who violates a child or anybody for that matter. This screams put him in the ground!

8. Guest2 says:

This is becoming common place. The prisoner doesn’t like his sentence, he gets it over turned saying that 40-50 is enought for life. This particular one, he now claims that the deed was done in Pennsylvania, so he is released. Thank God for the prosecutor in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania having incarcerated right away. If he did the deed of Pa, why didn’t he bring this up years ago? He still abducted her from her driveway in Maryland. I am disparing of the court system in general. There are too many activist judges on the bench trying to legislate laws the way that they think that they should be. I hope that the low life gets life with no parole in Pa, or better still, they should execute him. As soon as he is free, he will try something again! I am surprised that he made it in prison all these years and not be attached by the other prisoners once they learned of his crime. Now this poor woman is going to have to relive every moment on a witness stand again after all these years

9. hermanthegerman says:

I’ll bet this clown ass looks wider that the Harbor tunnel after being in prison. Inmates don;t take kindly to child molesters. He will get shanked in less than a year after his identity is learned in the House. Save the state a lot of $$ also

10. Herman Glimsher says:

IF HE DID THIS IN PA WHY WAS HE PROSECUTED HERE TO BEGIN WITH??? ARE ALL POLICE AND PROSECUTORS MORONS???
    IT SEEMS LIKE THE POLICE AND PROSECUTORS MAKE STUPID MISTAKES LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME…………..

JUST STRAP HIM IN THE ELECTRIC CHAIR……..I’LL FLIP THE SWITCH…….AND I’D SLEEP LIKE A BABY AFTERWARD.

11. lina says:

let him stay behand bar untl he die

12. Jessica says:

HE NEED TO BE IN THERE THE REST OF LIFE N FREAKIN DIE…

13. pigeon says:

After all these years there’s now a probability this lady is going to have to go through this in court all over again? Hasn’t she paid and pained enough? I can’t begin to imagine what she’s now going through. She’s in my heart and prayers.
    Just remember, he still has to answer to God!