17 Baltimore Police Officers Charged In Extortion Scheme

ROSEDALE, Md. (WJZ)—An elaborate extortion scheme generated thousands of dollars. Investigators say it was Baltimore City police officers and the owners of a local business who were behind it all.

Kelly McPherson explains how investigators say the operation worked.

In a two-year investigation, federal authorities claim 17 officers took kickbacks for illegally steering car accident victims to a Rosedale auto body shop.

Majestic Auto Repair Shop in Rosedale is at the center of the massive kickback scheme, involving 17 city police officers.

A 41-page federal criminal complaint outlines the allegations, claiming the officers would respond to car accidents and convince car owners to have their cars towed and repaired by Majestic rather than a city authorized towing company.

In exchange, Majestic paid the officers kickbacks of $300 per vehicle with one officer allegedly making more than $14,000 over two years.

According to that complaint, one officer said to the shop owner:  “My pay made me cry with that two percent cut, which is less $100 from my check.”   The shop owner responds, “Keep an eye out for cars.  That’s where you’ll make it.”

The following defendants, all from Maryland, are charged in the conspiracy:

Hernan Alexis Moreno Mejia (Moreno), age 30, of Rosedale; Moreno’s brother, Edwin Javier Mejia, age 27, of Middle River; Eddy Arias, age 39, of Catonsville; Eric Ivan Ayala Olivera, age 35, of Edgewood; Rodney Cintron, age 31, of Middle River; Jhonn S. Corona, age 32, of Rosedale; Michael Lee Cross, age 28, of Reisterstown; Jerry Edward Diggs, Jr., age 24, of Baltimore; Rafael Concepcion Feliciano Jr., age 30, of Baltimore; Jaime Luis Lugo Rivera, age 35, of Aberdeen; Kelvin Quade Manrich, age 41, of Gwynn Oak; Luis Nunez, age 33, of Baltimore; Samuel Ocasio, age 35, of Edgewood; David Reeping, age 41, of Baltimore; Jermaine Rice, age 28, of Owings Mills; Leonel Rodriguez Torres, age 31, of Edgewood; Marcos Fernando Urena, age 33, of Baltimore; Osvaldo Valentine, age 38, of Edgewood; and Henry Yambo, age 28, of Reisterstown.

The Baltimore Police Department requires that when police request vehicle towing services, they only use towing companies that are under contract with the city of Baltimore to provide towing services for the Baltimore Police Department.

Defendants Moreno and Mejia are brothers who own Majestic Auto Repair Shop LLC (Majestic), located in Rosedale. Majestic provides towing and automobile repair services.  Majestic is not an authorized tow company with the city of Baltimore.  The remaining defendants are Baltimore police officers.

The commissioner set up the sting arrest by bringing the accused officers to the police academy Wednesday.

Police commissioner Fred Bealefeld says he purposefully chose to have the officers arrested at the police academy to serve as a reminder to the city and his officers of their commitment to fight corruption.  He says the officers were told to report there Wednesday morning for an equipment inspection.

“I personally took the badges from every one of those men who were arrested today,” said Commissioner Fred Bealefeld.  “There will be important lessons for us to learn from start to finish in this whole thing and I didn’t and don’t want to miss a single opportunity to capitalize on that and that’s why I chose that location. We just can’t give order to corruption.  We can’t and won’t and will exhaust every means to eliminating it from our ranks.”

The FBI says the investigation began with the city police department and involved wiretaps and electronic surveillance all started by the city police department.

“There is absolutely nobody in this police department that should be hanging their heads right now. The police department did a very good job rooting out alleged corruption within their own ranks and they should be very proud of that effort,” said Richard McFeely, FBI.

Fifteen of the officers had their first court appearance Wednesday. Police are trying to track down two of the officers who have not yet been arrested because they were on previously scheduled vacation.

All of them have been stripped of their police powers and are suspended without pay pending the outcome of the criminal investigation.

“When we have a few bad apples, they make it bad for all of them.  And the officers that we have in our city make too many sacrifices for that to be the case,” said Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake.

She also released a statement.

“I expect all City employees to serve the public with the highest level of integrity, and I will not tolerate criminal or unethical activity by any city employee. I appreciate the efforts of Commissioner Bealefeld and our federal partners for working closely together to investigate, arrest, and prosecute these individuals. Any criminal activity by a Baltimore police officer dishonors our city and the 3,000 men and women of the Baltimore Police Department who serve with great professionalism and integrity.”

Police say the owners of the Majestic Body Shop spent thousands of dollars in exchange for bringing cars to their shop for repair work.

Federal agents and officers were at the shop Wednesday for several hours, according to witnesses. They were pulling out boxes, presumably full of evidence from inside the shop.

The shop is currently closed.

WJZ spoke to a nearby business owner who said sometimes the business at Majestic would get so busy that cars would have to park in the lot across the street.

That business owner says he did not suspect anything.

“I know them because they are my neighbors,” said Hanrek Singh, Club 7400 owner. “But I don’t know what they’re doing in there.”

While Singh says Majestic owners were “good guys,” another neighbor did say that he was not surprised to see police activity, but he was not aware of what was going on.

Click here to read the full affidavit.

Stay with WJZ.COM for the latest on this developing story.

Comments

1. Taylor says:

This recycling bit. How come they use to have a plant where all the garbage was taken and they had people sorting it all. Now they want citizens to do it for them. Oh I see they canned their butts so they wouldn’t have to use the graft money to pay them for the stinky job. And I pay taxes to pay them.

1. porchhound says:

Ummm…how many latino names can you get on one charge sheet…just wonderin

2. Uncle Buck says:

Doesn’t surprize me. Most cops are corrupt. I notice a lot of the names are Mexican or Blacks. Living in America but not really American.

1. adw says:

So, if someone is white we say that they are mentally ill of we don’t report it at all. The basis of your comments are racially motivated whether you admit it or not. Crime is crime whoever the persons who committed them. They should be prosecuted based on their crime not their race and that should be done equally.

2. Bmore Boss says:

yea a redskin like u

3. MED ASSISTANT says:

Who cares? theirs just as many thieves in the police department as there are in any other industry. Is this a shock. What id like to know is why this website is hiding the story about the new law being considered in Annapolis legalzing Medical Marijuana.

This story has almost 100 comments but other stories with half as many comments are being featured in the “Most Commented Stories” section. Is is really the most commented stories or is it merely a place for our local politicians to highlight more propaganda courtesy of this website?

2. Danielle Gerecht says:

hmmm… could some tell me wat a “corruption case” is?

3. Christy says:

We were involved in an accident on Orelans street and the officer was going to let us drive the vehicle home but when his commander showed up he was a very rude person and demanded we get our vehicle towed. He would not let us drive it for nothing. Karma is payback.

1. Atim Ant says:

BCPD protocol states if a vehicle is immobilized in an accident, then it is required to be towed, either by a company contracted by BCPD or by means of the Accident victim.
      However, If the vehicle is drivable, then IT CAN BE DRIVEN AWAY FROM THE SCENE OF THE COLLISION. The “commander” violated your rights by demanding your vehicle to be towed. If you remember his name, you should open a suit for unnecessary expenses, and violation of civil rights.

1. jimmy king says:

perhaps the “commander” believed it was not drivable due to damage suffered in the accident?

4. Jim Nollik says:

That’s it? A towing scheme? Dig deeper FBI.

1. vince says:

Are you serious. Evern heard of “kickbacks”, “corruption”, “insurance fraud”.

1. sven says:

I wouldn’t call insurance fraud a crime…..with the amount of money they make off of us.

2. SIU says:

Hey Sven, did you ever stop and think for a just a second to release that you pay so much for insurance mostly because of all the fraudulent claims being filed. hmmmmm

5. ha-ha says:

Seriously,,,that’s it..just sounds like a side hustle…nothing wrong with that with the econmy like it is today..

1. Bill Evans says:

There is a lot of wrong with that. I had a minor accident. Cop insisted that my car was towed. Next day, when I went to take a look at my car, instead of small dent, the whole back was smashed in. To add insult to injury, I had computer monitor in the trunk and it was gone, together with tools and fishing equipment. When I filed complain with state police, instead of investigating them, police started to investigate me. I had to hire a lawyer to make the thing to go away. Insurance company was sympathetic, but since I had no proof, there was nothing they could do. Do you still think that there is nothing wrong with it ?

1. Sara Rall says:

I think you should call the FBI and tell them your story. There may be more than one shop involved.

2. Pat says:

I had a similar situation – but not nearly as bad. I got towed from a legal spot, but how do you prove that? Lots of things removed from my car including credit cards I was STUPID to leave in the car. But when I spoke up, I was suddenly “behaving suspiciously”. It was clear the police wouldn’t investigate anyone except possibly me unless I backed down. On my own, I was able to track down the person who started using my credit cards (Son of person who owned the towing company) and got the bank involved in that. Suddenly the police showed up – to convince the bank not to press charges!!!

2. jimjim says:

lol. yeah right. COPS taking kick backs? Put it on their permanent record. If it were me or you with as Security clearance (which they have) we’d be in deep doodoo. EVEN IF THEY ARE BLACK!

3. RD says:

Are you serious ha-ha? From a police officer, this is unexcusable. While it may not be some ugly case like taking bribes from drug dealers, the officers should know better. Besides, if they are willing to do sometihng as stupid as this, how far are the willing to step over the line. BCP has a number of great officer and BCP should not be judged as a whole on this incident, but these officer deserve whatever they get.

4. Tired of Idiots says:

Its idiots like you that help the system fail

6. 1uniquemonique says:

My car was impounded by the city back in Dec. 2009 to Pulaski Hwy. Well, the driver alleges he was working for the city. When me and my friend arrived to pick up my car about an hour later, they had no record of my car ever being impounded. We found it sitting behind an auto repair shop on Pulaski Hwy. I wonder if these are the same people.

7. MD Ex-pat says:

My roommate’s car was stolen out of the Cordish powerplant employee parking lot while she was at work. That is literally half a block from the downtown police station. It was found a week later at a park and ride. Instead of letting her come and pick it up even though it was driveable, they told her in advance they were towing it to an impound yard. That way she was forced to pay $200 to get it back.

When we got it back it was full of some guys stuff including his mail with his full name and address. When I called the police to inform them of this potential suspect they laughed and told me to call back in 6 weeks when a certain officer came back from vacation.

Not much justice, but hey, at least the city got $200 out of it. I still wish I’d gone over to that house in Glen Burnie to ask that guy how his mail and belongings ended up in her car.

I have met a few honest and decent Baltimore cops but only a few. A couple of homicide detectives and a few “violent crimes task force” members come to mind… The majority of uniformed patrol officers I’ve met have been rude and quick to violence so that’s why stories like this warm my heart. While I know none of these cops will see jail time they will loose their jobs, pensions, and the ability to be untouchable sociopaths. I sincerely hope one of these guys is one of the two cops who threatened me with arrest for “loitering” on a public sidewalk when I had just been assaulted by 4 people I’d never met.

1. zaks5thave says:

Just remember keep voting demoncrat. We all know they are for the little guy. Oops, sorry that does not include the fetus variety.

1. Julie says:

Amen zaks. Crooked cops in Baltimore City? I’m shocked! Shocked I say! And with all the rampant violent crime in the city, (a city that has been run 100% by the Democratic Party for over 50 plus years and yet they blame everything on Republicans) and the idiots in the city keep voting them in office. Also ironic how the bunny huggers and save the little baby seals people have no problem with crushing the skulls and sucking the brains out of innocent babies via abortion. Go figure.

2. San Diego Steve says:

We are really in trouble when we need protection from the police. A crooked or rogue officer is the most dangerous person around, since he or she has the authority to use deadly force and is backed up by the law’s power. My cousin was severely beaten by a cop in Atlantic City, although he did nothing. When he protested the beating, this brutal cop said: “Why don’t you call the cops?’ Very funny. I hope that these crooked Baltimore cops get exactly what they deserve, including appropriate prison time.

8. nika c. says:

This is really sad here we are looking for the police to help us but damn the too bzy scheming now tell me y the government just shouldn’t just let us as citizens just do watever cuz the police aren’t protecting us and by time the fbi is through with there investigation we will be protecting ourselves anyway. The jail system is corrupt the police are corrupt really where is our protection? I guess its in ourselves this is a lesson to be learned that u just can’t trust no 1 at all….. GOD please help us I pray to u

1. Atim Ant says:

Like it or not, the police department provides checks and balances to the economy. If there was no police department, the city would be a warzone. there would be crime everywhere, every day. You, and countless other women would be raped repeatedly, and no one could do anything about it. Not even your God.
      Just because a few police officers are dirty, doesn’t mean they all are.

1. datroot says:

“You, and countless other women would be raped repeatedly,”

Don’t sound so hopeful, dirtball. Plenty of good men are willing to step up and defend the innocent without sucking the taxpayer’s teat. A rape in progress can be stopped with a brick to the aggressor’s skull even quicker than it can be stopped with a phone call to some disinterested party across town.

2. jimjim says:

yeah there was uh…. 400 dollars in the car maam. Nope we dont see your 1000 dollars. we only found 400. sorry maam. A Cop wouldnt lie now would he?

9. redemption says:

How bout the cops who work second jobs because they can carry a firearm, get paid under the table in cash (no W-2 here), do not report the income on their tax returns, and nothing happens to them.

BS

1. Atim Ant says:

How do you know this to be true?

1. Darrkwingg says:

Come on Atim Ant We both know redemption is right! That happens ALL the time!
        Officers work unauthorized all the time and pocket the money with no taxes or reported income! Trust me!

10. sonetelle says:

Wake up people, this has been going on for years. The other company they used to use was Bermans. And before your vehicle would even hit the impound lot any and everything including freshly brought groceries would be stolen. I know from personal experience.

11. Mark Matis says:

What a surprise! More corrupt pigs!

The stench is overwhelming. But a sincere “Thank You!” to those officers who DARED arrest this swill!

12. Dettom says:

Why does that list of cops read like a who’s who of Tijuana Mexico PD?

13. Billiam says:

Any of those involved illegals? Wouldn’t surprise me if they were. Look, people, it doesn’t matter what the profession is any more. People are going to dishonest things at the drop of a hat; this should come as no surprise to anyone. The entire towing system (if you can call it that) is a sham. $200 for the tow and then another $80 a day for “storage?” Like 95% of the cars at the Pulaski Highway lot are ever going to be claimed? My thought process is how could they think someone wouldn’t have blown the whiistle on them? I’m surprised it took this long for this half-baked idea to come to the attention of the public. But, in the end, let’s see what kind of “sentence” they get.

1. It's a shame says:

They were not illegal! Hum Baltimore city is ticked off because they didn’t get their cut. Bad part is how many other serious criminal charges-drugs,murder,battery, etc will be overturned or dropped because of this.

2. lovely says:

hey dumb ass…”any of those involved illegals? Wouldn’t surprise me if they were.” Those listed are cops, impossible to be illegal, and the two business owners. Also impossible to have a company registered to an illegal. I happen to know those owners, and they are naturalized citizens of The Unites States of America!

1. jr says:

Yes, impossible to be illegal and be a cop… like it is impossible to be president of the USA without being a natural born citizen?

2. Billiam says:

Oh, lovely, you are sadly mistaken – you need to check your “dumb ass” at the door. It’s not impossible to do anything, it’s not impossible to be someone you’re not, and it’s certainly not impossible to be an “illegal” and obtain work in the fair city of Baltimore. Trust me on this one. If you know the owners, that’s enough said. Maybe the question to ask was Majestic employing “illegals?”

14. Nunyabizness says:

It’s “Charm City” folks what did you expect??
    It could be worse, it could be D.C.!!

15. Pa Girl says:

How fascinating that they mostly appear, from the names, to be Hispanics and Blacks. No wonder there are no photos of the alleged perpetrators. Doesn’t go along with the Press’ pro minority, anti White, bias. Might this have something to do with the Baltimore Police Department’s crusade for “diversity” ? The stated desire of the Baltimore Police Department to hire and promote minorities even when they do not score as high as Whites in testing has consequences? Shocking!

1. ridthem says:

you sound hot. i like how you think

2. tony says:

Wow. now its a race thing. Let’s see if u can do the job these men and women do. Let’s see u risk ur life for a stranger. When ur ass is getting robbed or victimized in any serious crimes I bet u will be wishing that the pigs showed up to help u.

1. leelee says:

Doesnt make it right of what they did. How stupid can they be?

16. felipe says:

This things happens everywhere are they are not limited to those officers. If this occurred they will have to respond for these accusations, and the State’s Attorney will have to prove the charges. However, this is the exception but not the rule. we still having a large group of officers which work hard to protect the citizens, not limited to the City of Baltimore. Indeed to make firewood for these fallen trees, just pray for their wives and children who have to face their neighbors and knowns, because their friends will be there always if they are real friends.

1. Joe Blow says:

What are you talking about? That wasn’t legible English. Good lord, do you work for Charm City or something? Sounds like it based on your awesome grammar skills.

17. Sinjin says:

How about that diversity! 90% Spanish last names. Great job liberals. Are these all the cops they recruited from Puerto Rico a few years ago?

1. jimmyking says:

but…but….but …diversity is so good right?

18. CrabtownUSA says:

Hey Freddy Bealefeld, your guys stink from all the corruption! How long are you going to let it go on? Maybe you’d be better working for your old man’s electrician business….just watch your shorts.

19. KingSlav says:

Did the accused pay income tax on their “earnings” or will tax evasion charges be next? BTW, didn’t see any Italian or Irish names in that bunch. Coincidence?

20. Just Tex says:

Has the Mexican Mafia infiltrated the Baltimore Police Department? Sure seems that way…

21. tijuana her I COME says:

that list of defendants does not sound like mayberry U.S.A.-

Sounds like the daily haul on the Rio Grande by the Border Patrol.

Baltimore = third world mess.

this is what happens when you admit third world nationals and pretend that every culture is the same…
    you find that very shortly, the third world immigrants re-create the third wrld mess they originate from, IN YOUR COUNTRY.

22. Slavtrader says:

Nearly every name is tied to a Hispanic or black. Tell us again how the notion that increased crime is associated with minority groups is racist and a lie. When will we grow up and realize that it’s time to end affirmative action in the public sector. Thank goodness that we have 2nd amendment rights out here in Arizona, otherwise we’d be at the mercy of crime and corruption like all those peaceniks back east.

Also, tell Derek to lose the pin in his tongue. The speechimpediment isn’t appropriate for an announcer.

23. Legitimate Shop says:

It’s is shops like this one that give honest businesses a bad rap. No wonder people don’t trust mechanics or bodyshops when there are so many scammers out there. You can read the actual filing on the Baltimore Sun’s webpage. There were multiple instances where the bodyshop owner and the police officers damaged the vehicle more in order to make more money.

24. jremminizer says:

I can proudly say that I completed 25 years with BPD and never did I take anything. Everything I found or recovered was turned in. Never did I become part of any criminal activity. These guys deserve everything coming to them if they were involved. Just remember, not all police are involved in criminal activity.There are still alot of good police out there doing a good job.

1. Kttn says:

Thank you for all the years of putting your life on the line to protect and serve. There will always be wolves mascarading as Sheepdogs, but the Sheepdogs will still dog their jobs and protect the flock. Well done, Warrrior.

2. eanmdphd says:

Good for the good guys!

25. Just Tex says:

SinJin, don’t be silly. Although there’s probably an element of Affirmative Action in play, here in this (latest so called) “Public Servant” scandal, the problem is that we’ve not just imported too many people too quickly, but that we’ve also imported the same corrupt culture that has always kept Third World countries firmly planted in the Third World. Heck, even the Europeans are finally acknowledging that Multiculturalism hasn’t and won’t ever work. It’s past time that we catch on to that fact too!

26. Doubt Me Now says:

There are other companies….QUICK RESPONSE TOWING INC. 531 S CATON AVE BALTIMORE MD is just as bad. They have a police scanner in the office that the dispatchers listen to then send the drivers to the scene. Some drivers even have one in their truck to listen to while they drive. If the officer calls it in then they get paid off as well. & as far as impounds??? HAAA dont be a tractor trailer driver and park illegally. Your truck will be seperated by the manager then when they get back to the lot they put it together and charge for a heavy duty tow. $1100 is a hefty fee for their excitement. This is def one company that needs to be investigated by the feds for sure!! Even the IRS. These people make about a million a yr and only report about a quarter of it if that.

27. aaron says:

how dare they steal business from its rightful owner, baltimore city. don’t these crooks know the only people who can make money in this city is the city.

28. TucsonTerpFan says:

Interesting take on many of the last names of those charged. Sounds like a “cartel” operation.

29. walter12 says:

With rampant street crime, black and Mexican youth gangs running wild, a Marxist city government, sky-high taxes for the few that actually work, massive numbers of illegal Mexicans, welfare crowds, dopers and deadbeats everywhere, it is no wonder that you have crooked cops too. No one in their right mind would go to Baltimore nowadays.

30. DENNIS says:

ISNT SENATOR FRANK LAUTENBERG PART OF THE CORRUPTION IN MARYLAND???JUST WONDERING!!
    OR WAS THAT NEW JERSEY???
    THEY ARE ALL CORRUPT….

1. Chichi says:

We have Mikulski and Cardin—both crooks and both have never met an abortion they didn’t like.

31. DENNIS says:

UNIONS ZERO…….SCOTT WALKER ONE…
    THE UNIONS ARE GOING DOWN…
    THE END IS NEAR FOR GOVERNMENT WORKERS…
    IF THEY DONT SHOW UP FOR WORK FIRE THEM ALL….
    END OF STORY

32. ravencon says:

Third world population=Third world police department & government=Third world corruption. Welcome to the new America.

33. Jim says:

The average Baltimore Police man makes $105,000 in benefits and wages.
    They need to steal to make some tax free money.

34. Kathleen says:

Apparently the entire Spanish-speaking force will have to be replaced.

35. guy fawkes says:

Ignorance is Bliss.
    This is a simple story of cop gone bad for the dollar. What upsets me more about this story is how we forget how to drop the dollar from the picture and look behind the “hustle”. Moral corruption cases will become a main topic over the next few months. Remember there is an election on the way! So why not upset the public with story’s of rotten cops and broken fire engines. That will have’em stirring around for sure. Face it! There’s a revolution brewing bigger than the BCPD,FBI,CIA, THE BEATLES AND MOHAMMAD!
    If we didn’t force people into poverty it wouldn’t be this way. No need to hustle, just have some simple integrity folks. Media Included! Your not exempt from censoring news reports. This is big people. Someone want’s us to fail, ALL OF US. WAKE UP!

36. Joe says:

I’m surprised how many of the officers were hispanic. Not that it makes a difference. I come from another part of the country (near Texas) and my experience has been that Hispanics are some of the hardest, industrious and well-charactered people around. Not that non-Hispanics are bad people. Just surprised.

1. KingSlav says:

You confuse Mexicans with American-Puerto Ricans at your own expense.

37. Bozo says:

Really, these cops made a big mistake. They interferred with the city towing contracts. Of course, the mayor or other city officials aren’t getting a kickback on those contracts. You have to know your place in the food chain.

38. Conner says:

These cops should be shaking in their boots because they are 1) going to the pokey, and 2) going to be “pokied” at the pokey. I shudder at the thought of what will happen. Well, not really. It’s not my butt (pun intended), so I dont care what happens to them, as long as it’s bad.

39. tony says:

Sad to see these comments about police officers . The majority do a great job and risk there life to protect strangers. We should not judge everyone as a whole for a few bad apples. If every police did not come to work do you honestly think you and your family will be able to walk the streets safe? Hell no. We are no one to judge we will fine bad apples in every job let’s not trash the names of people who actually put there life on the line. I know a lot of great officers that have either lost there life protecting a stranger or got seriously hurt.

40. Gregory Randolph says:

This is just another example of the curse that the BPD has upon them. More to come.

41. Chief Of Police says:

It’s not how these offficers died ….It’s how they stole and conived and defrauded the City and the public that made them Heros.

42. Like It Is says:

They should bring police over from Afghanistan or Iraq to teach proper ethical police techniques to American police…but American police probably don’t have enough education to learn….that’s why they are stupid cops.

1. Owings Mills says:

This has got the be the stupidest post I’ve seen on this issue so far.

2. NoBama says:

Your post makes no sense moron! keep playing your world of warcraft….loser

43. KnowItAll says:

It’s probably just the tip of the iceberg..anyone that would do this would probably be getting free hand and blow jobs at the local massage parlor while on duty too.

44. Kathy says:

All i hae to say is shut down the State of MD. It is a disgrace for it to be in existence.

45. Davdi says:

And our taxes continue to rise in the city. Even the garbage pickup is marginal. As soon as i can, I am out of Canton. Not a cop to be found when the bars and drunks are pushed into the streets………

46. DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH! says:

Yes We Can Build A http://www.NewNation.org

YES WE CAN!
    YES WE CAN!

47. Hank Warren says:

Corrupt cops, yet another violation of our rights. Add it to the list of gov’t violations of our right:
    They violate the 1st Amendment by placing protesters in cages, banning books like “America Deceived II” and censoring the internet.
    They violate the 2nd Amendment by confiscating guns.
    They violate the 4th and 5th Amendment by molesting airline passengers.
    They violate the entire Constitution by starting undeclared wars for foreign countries.
    Impeach Obama and sweep out the Congress, except Ron Paul.
    (Last link of Banned Book):

48. Brian says:

They can all share a cell with Mayor Dixon. Corruption is a top down problem in this city. The only surprise in this article is that the charges weren’t more serious.
    Lets not forget that our current Police Commissioner Bealefeld was appointed by Mayor Felony herself. The cleanup needs to start at a much higher level.

Don’t worry about the officer’s futures. Any cop that’s too corrupt to work in Baltimore can always find a job in PG County or the District.

49. Fred says:

Couldn’t be a way to force the ‘diversity’ in jobs of Obama, eh?

50. Robert says:

A 41 page federal criminal complaint outlines the allegations, claiming the officers would respond to car accidents and convince car owners to have their cars towed and repaired by Majestic rather than a city authorized towing company.

……Sounds like the city was mad because they were already getting kick backs from ‘authorized’ towing companies and did not like the competition!

51. August says:

EVERY COP IN THE UNITED STATES IS DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY!

1. yourmomisdirty says:

Your a lot of talk behind your computer and keyboard but you know damn well you wouldnt say that to a cop on the street because you’d get your ass kicked!

1. jess says:

Wouldn’t that confirm what he said about all cops being dirty then?

52. Gibbs Bentley says:

“Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    – Plato

53. John Brown says:

City authorized towing companies receive kickbacks from the city, so the cops are only guilty of competing with the city.

Two years of FBI funding wasted on this garbage.

Our entire government is run by crooks.

54. J. Craig says:

Many companies give referal fees to people that recommend them to other customers. These officers were just in a good position to make referals. When I heard the word corruption I expected something more along the lines of taking money from drug dealers to look the other way or bribes. If I were having a problem in one of the “BLUE LIGHT” areas I would more than welcome one of these”corrupt” officers saving my ass.
    Not the smartest thing for them to do but far from the worst that could be.

55. C. W. says:

It’s George Bushs fault, he made them do it !!

56. E.R.R. says:

What a legacy all those names leave.

57. Cherie M says:

the baltimore city police are indeed corrupted.! they dont come around 2 help people in my neighbor hood . they go after people they hold grudges against plant drugs on people rob people in exchange 2 let them go free…they all need 2 be fired and find police that arent from baltimore.

58. A.G.! says:

PIGS…Dirty Low Down Pigs..Especially Northeast District They go around robbing drugdealers in exchange to let them go free..take people they dont like from certain neighborhoods blindfold them and drive them out into the country n leave them with nothing.! They plant drugs on people and in cars of people they dont like. they all have vendettas against certain people and go out of their way 2 put them in jail just becuz they are jealous of certain people.

1. bmore bandit says:

All of the people they do that stuff to are probably stand up citizens….NOT…they all probably deserve it and im sure your one of them…its too bad they dont take those blindfolded people and send them out of the country along with your ignorant ass!!! Another d-bag who has courage behind his computer….

“they dont come around 2 help people in my neighborhood”…you cant help someone who doesnt want help moron…and what kind of help you want? help finding a job for your lazy, broke, s.i. check collecting ass…nah sorry do it yourself….or help taking care and raising all of the kids that you shouldnt of even been allowed to have….nah not the job of the police either….you live in baltimore city, one of the worst cities in america….NO ONE and i mean NO ONE wants to be a police officer there, you get what you get, if you dont like it, move, if not stfu..if you lie down with dogs, you’ll wake up with fleas….

59. R.B.S says:

Who really cares???? Were the cars fixed ???? Where’s the scam???? So I guess I should get locked up every time I recommed a good movie,cd or restaurant to someone……

60. rstaffo2 says:

WTHFC?????

Dear FBI,
    After reading this story I started to feel guilty because last week I recommed to two friends to sign up to DirectTV and in returned they gave me a $100kick back from signing up…. Should Ibe worried????

1. help me says:

Aren’t you witty? You should try stand-up.

BTW genius, one’s illegal and the other is not.

How many stupid people are the on the net?

61. Joe Smith says:

¡Ay, caramba!

I mean….for God’s sake.

62. Jeff Watt says:

as a former tower for the city this makes us all look bad. I worked for a company that towed for the biggest dealerships and the city as well . i watched a city employee takes a pack of cigs from a car going to the city yard but had owners request the cars go to our yard and never been accused of a single cent being missing. when the city opened the tow list to owners request is where this went wrong this is how the wreck chasing started. sorry folks I have over 25 years in the industry and my payment for the job performed is enough for me I do not need to steel anything in your car please do not let a few bad apples spoil your impression on us that spend hours away from our loved ones to make sure a profesional job is done after i drop it in the city yard damage free I can not tell you what I have seen done after the fact. But this is why the city system needs to be overhauled and the city yard done away with and each responding compay take control of the vechile until its released to the rightful owner. tHAT COMPANY HOLDS NO CONTRACT WITH THE CITY AND NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO SHOW UP AND TOW A CAR.and if anyone from 13 would like to contact me I can show them way more than this.

1. ed says:

“… to make sure a profesional job is done…”

What a laugh. A job that can be done by any high school dropout is hardly a profession. I don’t consider the moron who hands me my burger at the drive up window a professional either.

You are ALL bad. Anyone working for a towing company with a city contract should consider quitting and getting a more respectable job……….. Like working freelance in a mens room stall………. At least until they get back their self-respect. LOL

1. Legitimate Shop says:

So Ed what do you do for a living?? Have you ever had to hook up a car without damaging it in pouring down rain with traffic going by you at 60 mph?? Maybe you should think before you type because your response made you look like the uneducated “drop out.” People in the automotive industry are given a bad rep. not necessarily because that that particular company did wrong but because of irresponsible, unethical people that have no respect for the public. My shop has been in business for 70 years….so tell me what kind of business do YOU own, how many employees do you have working for you?? If you are going to insult someone and/or their profession make sure you are at least slightly knowledgeable about the subject.

63. TheRMSDave says:

Sounds like they got in the way of the people who get kickbacks from the shop that are registered with the city.

64. Robert Bryan says:

Silly Baltimore. Any time you let one race form a click — especially in a Police Department, you invite corruption and trouble. I say this as a former Police Officer who has moved on to bigger and better things. One key to tamping down corruption is to mix up the shifts, the demographics, and the racial backgrounds of the police officers from time to time. It may sound funny, but it really helps to root out a lot of corruption that would otherwise go undetected. This to me was a clear case of a Puerto Rican click being allowed to establish itself and go unchecked for a long time. I would expect the same result if the click were Mexican, Black, White, Asian or whatever.

1. tony says:

I don’t think is bc of race if u are a corrupt person then no matter where u are or doing u will always be corrupt. I am Latino and there is no one in this world that will make me be corrupt

65. Anon E. Mouse says:

If you don’t think the police are just as corrupt or moreso than the criminal element, you are delusional. They are probably worse as they always think they are smarter. If they caught 17 there are probably 34 more. Wonderful lot those police.

66. Shawn says:

By taking kickbacks from Majestic these police officers prevented the city from getting its kickback from the “authorized” towing companies.

C’mon guys, there’s only so much to go around. Next time you take a kick back, make sure it’s sanctioned by the city.

67. Richard Sheridan says:

I used to work for a big city police dept.
    Substitute “drug house” for “collission shop”.
    All are paid off. PO, Sarge, LT. Inpector, Judge.
    Only un “protected” are subject to arrest.
    Corruption is pervasive. This is petty compared to
    the real stench arising from American cities.

68. Jacob says:

So it is OK for the city of Baltimore to get “kick backs” from the approved companies but not Ok for the Officers! Yep, corruption hatres competition.

1. help me says:

One is legal and the other is an employee doing on the side and pocketing the money. Illegal.

Big difference.

I suppose stealing a pack of gum is okay because it’s just a pack of gum.

69. Sukalubov, Portland, Oregon says:

I like the sound of all those named in the indictment. I’m trying to facilitate a social science study to determine the ethnic ratio(s) of crimes committed by law enforcement be they African A, Hispanic or Cauc….does anybody know the nature of the racial mix of the group indicted or will I have to use a non scientific approach of guesstimating racial mix via names.

70. ed says:

Gee. Looking at the names of the perps I quickly noticed the lack of a “John Smith” or a “Joe Whitebread” in the bunch. Looks like a minority operation. I’m shocked! Shocked I tell ya!

71. sailordude says:

I think one could argue that this sting was racially motivated. We live in a mufti cultural society and we need to accept graft if it’s from our Officers of Hispanic decent, that is part of their historical culture. I’m joking of course, but I’m sure these guys thought what they were doing was not that bad, and if you ask me, I don’t think it was bad enough to warrant a two year investigation, sounds like a set up. If they found out about this they should have reprimanded them early and then nailed them if they repeated the offense.

1. help me says:

I think one could argue that your post was racially motivated.

So you say these police officers may have felt what they were doing was not that bad?

What if I felt buying cocaine was not so bad?

Illegal is illegal.

The reason it took two years was to get it right. Maybe a year ago they only had 10 cops now they have up to 30.

Quit making excuses.

72. Glock Owner says:

A few rotten apples make all the bad apples look bad!

1. Incitatus says:

Really? Seventeen? Just a few?

73. ED H says:

Many hispanic last names. Meanwhile Obama is committing contempt of federal court ordtsars. The world is going to hell due to his inaction and lack of leadership.er to not interfere with oil drilling. Arrest him too and all of his illegal

74. correction says:

Many officer hispanic last names. Meanwhile Obama is committing contempt of coourt order that prevents him from banning oil drilling. Arrest him and all of his tsars. The world is going to hell in a hand basket since he’s too busy blowing our money golfing and on vacations.

75. more problems says:

Yes they was wrong for what they did but hey that’s what happens when city is making all these cut backs paying these officers next to nothing huh what about when the officers pull up on drug dealers take there money out there pockets don’t lock them up and never report that money yeah this has been going on for years the problem is this is just one of many schemes that they finally got caught doing trust me there’s more

76. Inkbaatar says:

I was in the auto body business in Alabama for 30 years and everyone did this same thing. Insurance workers, cops, wrecker drivers, parts people. This is common practice in the auto body business.

1. Legitimate Shop says:

Working in a shop is not the same as being an owner. Maybe it was common practice for where you worked but I can say that my shop has NEVER done anything like this. It wasn’t for lack of opportunity, it was because I have morals. You do things like this and the chance of getting caught eventually is almost guaranteed. It’s not worth losing your business and/or freedom over. Don’t generalize when you obviously have no clue.

77. The Real CVH says:

`My pay made me cry with that two percent cut, which is less $100 from my check.’

A 2% reduction was $100 less in his check? That means his paycheck was $5000 before the reduction. Public union employees are paid waaaaaaaaaaay too much.

78. Rick says:

The amount of officer involved in this scheme just goes to show you how corrupt the majority of officers are. The Feds need to go after those 19 officers plus every officer that knew about what was going on and never reported. Sothat means everytime a fellow officer was at the scene saw other officers steering these victims are just as guilty

79. Incitatus says:

Seventeen corrupt cops is a major story. You’d think the TV station would show us a few of the perps, but not one of the 17 is featured in that video. Why? Because the corrupt cops are non-white, as the list of names makes obvious.

“When we have a few bad apples…” said Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake.

Really? Seventeen? Just a few?

Gosh, corrupt Puerto Rican cops. Who would’ve thought it?

80. minnie former Puerto Rican Cop from BPD says:

As a former BPD police officer and a proud Puerto Rican female I am sick to my stomach about the corruption in the BPD but also sick about the racist comments being generated over this corruption matter. Why do people have to make every issue about race it’s sad! I served in the BPD for 7 years before moving on to teaching at the college level and I am proud to say I worked and learned from White, Black, Asian and yes Hispanic officers. People need to remember that there are bad people in every ethnicity/culture we shouldn’t judge one group by the actions of 17 individuals who didn’t honor the police oath that they took. Remember “The Rule of Law” states that “no one man is above the law” I guess these 17 individuals didn’t think this applied to them. Innocent until proven guilty…if truly guilty they deserve what they get. One last thing for the individual who’s comment kept focusing on the Hispanic last names and that there were no caucasian names don’t flatter yourself…look up serial killers and you’ll find all the caucasian names you desire.

1. g f b says:

Minnie you are preaching to the choir. Im appaulled at the comments so called upstanding citizens are making. Latinos have just as much to offer society as any other race,creed and so on group of people. I know several Latino officers and I respect them, their job and their judgement the same as I would any other officer on the force. I actually know one of the officers arrested. A great guy who made a poor judgement call. Despite the incident I still think hes a great guy.

81. P of the Doll says:

I admit that Baltimore City is corrupted by some of the people who live here. But, when speaking of the law and its criminal activity we need to be praying so that someday we can place our trust in the law. Like one said there are some good officers in the police force. But when I look at the news of all Baltimore stations this whole city is full of the madness. Why don’t people start praying for a better city in a whole. Also the police do steal your things. I think that’s why some become police so they can be a part of the stealing and take money and other valuables from the citizens of Baltimore because when you try to get your personal belongings back it doesn’t happen. Whenever someone keeps doing the wrong they will get caught and they will suffer BIG TIME.

82. Bob G says:

Close the department, contract with the State Police to protect the city. Done!

83. Sukalubov, Portland, Oregon says:

Thank you for your comments and for those of you that commented, would you mind if I quoted you? My national study will be done in a year, so watch for “Large US Cities: Tracking Ethnic Public Union Crime-with Black or Hispanic and White Mayors. This is a major piece. I’ve commented in over 100 sites with major feed back. Your help is appreciated.

84. lala says:

la corrupcion esta en todas las esferas, es lamentable con tan buen dinero que ganaban la ambicion los hizo caer muy bajo. es lamentable que sean latinos en vez de dar el ejempol y sabiendo que los latinos somos discriminados como los negros hallan ido tan lejos para robar y hacer que los latrinos nos sigan señalando. por eso siempre señalan a los latinos como escoria. si vas a otro pais den el ejemplo que los latinos nos superamos . no me dan pena que le caiga todo el pewso de la ley. hay muchos padres de familia que se sacrifican

1. mameshki says:

Lala, r u from La La land or what? R U from the USA or what. do you know in the USA the national language is still English. If you’re going to leave your comment, respond in English, r u hiding your feelings? If your mexican, have ever read “The Pledge of Allegiance” Or are you still waving some foreign flag.

85. lala says:

lamento que sean latinos en vez de adr el ejmplo ya que no estan en sus tierras con esto lo que hacen que sigan manchando a los latinos y restandole oprtunidades a otros. conosco personas que se quedaron y no pudieron entrar a la academia de baltimore . mas sin embargo estos pillos le dan la oprtunida y miren lo que hacen. si regrasn a sus paises que diran pobre de las esposas y mas que eso sus hijos que ejmplo. mancharon el uniforme no tienen excusa con tan buen sueldo. ser pillo viene en la sangre . si no lo hacian en la entrada lo hacian en la salida. por eso a los latinos siempre las demas razas nos miran por encima de los hombros. mancharon el uniforme.. que los metan presos los que quedaan miresen en el espejo para que no les pasen lo mismo

86. Jasper says:

Is Intown Motors out of York, Pa involved in this scam?

87. Proud Hispanic says:

This is not the only incident in which the BCPD have been involved. But the way I see it most of you are looking at it as a big issue just because hispanics are involved. But not all of them are hispanics, 5 of them were recuited in PR, 5 of them are american names and the others are from others hispanic coutries.
    Check the following link, read it and then let me know what happened back then. Are you going to blame the puertorricans for those problems when they were hired on 2006.

1. sukalubov says:

Proud Hispanic, my study is color blind-further, my study will detail, via city-mayor of any race and interpolated for illegals and non illegals from Mexico or other counties. Most people today, when illegal alien question is raised, think Mexicans. There is a large illegal arab population in America as well as European population. The data so far supports that most union member big city crime (mostly with black mayors) is indicative of minority subculture within the community be it from PR, arab countries or mexican. In a year you will be able to review my work.

88. andy botwin says:

The ex-officers actions are a major reason why auto insurance is so high, insurance fraud is a felony and they should be charged with this and extortion, filing false reports, theft by unlawful taking of property, false arrests for when they arrested a person for questioning about them using Majestic , corruption of police powers, I bet the number of officers involved in this reaches more than 100 officers including some high ranking officers. I’ve seen officers in the past backing up paddy wagons at a k-mart off cedonia avenue at 2 in the morning stealing lawn equipment!!!!

89. andy botwin says:

Jasper, whats the connection to intown motors of york ,pa, I live in redlion ,pa
    there is a large community of puerto pecan people that live in york,city. crime rate is high for such a small city there.

90. RC says:

Corruption is all over the city. The level you work at depends on how far they will go to cover it up. Horton got away with it & many other officials in City govt. They have a policy @ city hall “you scratch my back I’ll scratch yours”. The only time it matters is when somebody needs to be a scapegoat ok. Who can you trust down there. Nobody i’m sure.

91. A says:

Isn’t the city doing the same thing? They’re saying you can only use their “contracted” towing companies. Anybody taken a look there to see is anyone is getting kickbacks? Hmmm. Just sayin’.

92. Dr. K says:

The law is the law. Corruption is unacceptable, especially when Police Officers are concern. Police Officers has taken an oath to protect and enforce the law, not disobey them. What type of example are they setting for younger adults and children that would like to become Police Officers?

93. Cheryl Sherpinski says:

So do the officers also get charged with tax evasion as they did not pay taxes on the kick backs?
    Do they they still get to keep their pensions, seems a shame that state and federal politicians keep their pensions but other people who get caught forefeit their pentions, ie soldiers that are dishonorably discharged loose any benefits.

94. robert10inch says:

F……..K all those Hispanic & Black officers. Baltimore is a cesspool & the leadership is s…t. Jack Young head of city council a year or so ago was caught lying about his residence. What do you expect when the leadership is a bunch of liars & crooks.

95. CivilServant Slave says:

Why is this website hiding this story?:

Md. Lawmakers Consider Legalizing Medical Marijuana.

It has more comments that most of the other stories listed under “Most Commented” yet its not showing up there?

Is this website trying to sway the results?

96. Kill Whitey says:

Funny how people like to make racial comments online when its about Latins in corruption , But where are you’s when it concerns “Caucasians” in corruption or being indited ? Humans are humans and it does not matter your ethnicity or where you were born BUT what kind of person you are. Google corrupted cops charged and find out how many “GRINGO” cops have been involved in worst cases . Along with Blacks and Hispanics. What those cops did was wrong and I’m sure they will pay for it. And it’s sad to say it wont be a slap on the wrist as some other cops get for worst crimes! Or how about the Judges and Governors that are caught with Narcotics or charged with molestation ? Why don’t yous comment on those topics ? O that’s right they’re white so it’s ok right ? LOL
    Crime is crime it does not matter who did it, just STOP IT !
    It’s 2011 not 1811 Grow up people !

1. Kill Whitey says:

O and just incase I’m Irish fools smh

97. kfz versicherung vergleich adac says:

Clearly Demand,belief combine post air back message product receive planning park programme minute male leadership similar capacity examine prepare challenge near assumption already ship criterion under climb certainly promise economic on rest after administration accident good goal pretty contribution close think democratic provided ring afford maybe bar finding exercise shut man test paper executive academic cut modern various so only ready interpretation happy time clear active system necessarily influence everyone feature field way boy west opportunity step its student unless apparently prison star here blood reform deal

98. Extremely nicely written, makes an omspiring read.

99. epoyjun says:

I really like your post hope to read more from you.

Regard,

Epoyjun

100. I really believe this article. It truly is an edge throughout a job. We quite critically. I expect your next good study. I am searching for this particular response for an extended time. Right now My spouse and i ultimately received our remedy because of this web site.

101. Dr drew pinsky says:

Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) is a peptide endocrine naturally produced by the body in pregnancy. It’s the core part of the actual hcg diet plan put together by dr. Simeons…dr. simeons hcg diet

102. game key says:

I delight in, lead to I found just what I used to be looking for. You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

103. add link says:

This is really fascinating, You’re an overly professional blogger. I’ve joined your rss feed and stay up for in quest of extra of your fantastic post. Additionally, I’ve shared your site in my social networks