Md. Winery Uses Wind Power

MOUNT AIRY, Md. (WJZ) — A Frederick County family is using wind to power their winery.

Jessica Kartalija reports now they want other wine makers to follow their lead.

At Linganore Winecellars, president and winemaker Anthony Allen is using wind to make wine.

“I want to be environmentally sound,” Allen said.

Linganore is Maryland’s largest winery and now the greenest.

“Glass, apper, aluminium, cardboard—you name it, our recycle bin is larger than our trash bin,” Allen said.

Going green with green power was the next step.  One hundred percent of their electricity now comes from wind power through Maryland-based “Clean Currents.”

“He is using renewable energy, making a choice in his electric supply, supporting environmental concerns and supporting his bottom line,” said Lynn Gardner, Clean Currents.

The wind power being used at the winery is coming from as far away as Texas and Michigan.

All lights at Lingaore are compact fluorescent and the wood is recycled.  They even donate potassium tartrate to a local preschool to use as Play-Doh.

They produce 600,000 bottles of wine every year and Allen says going green has been energy efficient and has helped his bottom line.

“I would like to see the 50 wineries in the state be totally wind-powered, be the first industry in the state to be totally wind-powered.  That’s my ultimate goal,” Allen said.

He says eventually, he would like to have charging stations in the parking lot so people visiting the winery can charge their electric-powered vehicles.

There are 50 wineries in Maryland.  Linganore makes about 50 percent of the wine in the state.

More from Jessica Kartalija
Comments

1. Herman Glimsher says:

IS HE GOING TO HAVE SOME GAS PUMPS IN THE PARKING LOT OF THE WINERY FOR THOSE OF US WITH TESTICLES THAT STILL DRIVE GASOLINE-POWERED VEHICLES???

1. Sorry About Your Small Package says:

Being a blustering consumeristic jerk is a sign of manliness? Sounds like someone’s overcompensating, if you get my drift.

2. ThinkGreener says:

I commend this man for being proactive I hope we do see more wind tech. You can just go to a gas station and pay your $5 a gallon if you want to….I would rather not be a victim of oil dependance.

2. I'll Drink To That says:

Way to go, Linganore…you’ve got my business and I will be spreading the word.

3. Teajay says:

Anthony has always been a man of the community. He made Saba ( Tej ) for an Ethiopian eatery in D.C.( i STILL HAVE A BOTTLE ) , and has judged wines at the MD State Fair. It’s not surprising that he is a leader in other areas.

4. Barbara says:

Linganore is my favorite wne, I especially enjoy Skipjack its the perfect wine for anytime.
    Congrats on going GREEN.

5. lynnrgardner says:

I am on Clean Currents too! it is so easy just by going to the website.

6. Jim Gardner says:

Congratulations on the TV presentation of Linganore Wine facility going green with their energy with Clean Currents. Looking forward to enjoying the Linganore wine. Keep up the good work!

7. Amanda says:

Strikingly well written blog

8. healthiest foods says:

Could be the greatest piece of writing I have read!!